ML1400 Event on PTO Output

lostcontrol

Lifetime Supporting Member
Yep, I'm hammering this topic o_O
For this application, we want the operator to be able to adjust when something happens based on a certain position. We can know this position by the no. of Pulse's output, but I need the event to happen then!
If we had an encoder this would work, but we don't.

I can't see any option to achieve this without feeding the output pulse back into the HSC input & do it that way, but am concerned about what this might do to the drive axis..

Anyone have any suggestions?

We can know this position by the no. of Pulse's output, but I need the event to happen then!
I don't quite understand your problem. You can monitor the OPP register to see how far your axis has traveled at any given instant and use comparison instructions in the ladder logic to trigger actions from that position. But it's only as good as your PLC's scan time; are you concerned that the response time wouldn't be fast enough?

Your idea of paralleling the high speed output into a high speed counter does seem slightly unorthodox but I don't really see a problem with it. Electrically it should work fine. (I assume you plan to set the HSC PFN register to trigger an interrupt with the desired actions.)

Unless your scan time is unusually high, I doubt if there would be much functional difference between the two methods.

Yes, I am concerned about scan time. Previous machines of similar style we have done with input interrupts, event interrupts & earlier with motion controllers with 1ms scan time.
This machine has ~50ms to do its thing, so any overhead due to scantime etc will add to this, possibly causing limitations. I have no idea what the scan time is yet, as am still developing code.

Yep, the plan would be to use the HSC interrupt function to achieve the same thing. ON previous machines, the interrupt position has been adjustable, so am trying to maintain the same thing..

Once I have the code in & running, I can see what the scantime is & re-assess I guess.