SLC 503 to Micrologix messaging

SCUBA NooB

I have 5 SLC 503's that I want to network to a Micrologix 1100. All 503 CPU's have their channel 0 occupied so I need to use channel 1. Is this possible as every manual I read shows AIC+'s going to channel 0 !! On the Micrologix I was intending to use channel 0 set to DH485.

Another option would be to use a 1756-DH485 card in an existing Controllogix rack instead of the Micrologix 1100 but again the manual shows link couplers and AIC's by the handful!!

Hoping someone with DH485 network experience can shed a little light on this.

What you need is the old fashioned 1747-AIC isolator, which isolates the controllers from the DH485 trunk.

These were very common in the days of the SLC-5/00, 5/01, and 5/02 controllers. Almost every installation had one bolted to the panel to the left of the power supply.

Each isolator will connect to the SLC-5/03 Channel 1 network port with a cable (I think it's the 1747-C13, but check the manual to be sure) and will have a trunk cable daisy-chained between their trunk connectors.

The MicroLogix 1100 controller has a terminal breakout cable, part number 1763-NC01, which allows you to connect directly to the DH485 trunk. You could also use a 1761-NET-AIC (the AIC+) to connect to that controller.