Groov

Worst name for an industrial automation product, ever...

Being curious I checked their website.
It seems to be intended to be used with SNAP PAC controllers (OPTO-22 ?). Is that what you want ?
The concept is interesting but the functionality seems a little thin so to speak.
Seemingly no alarm system.
Seemingly no recipe system.
Seemingly no interaction with databases.
No logging of data whatsoever. From the Q and A:
Q: Is the plot gadget realtime or historical?
A: Realtime
Q: In future versions, will there be historic graphs and reports?
A: While we can’t comment on future features right now, we’re interested in hearing what features you need. Note that you can get historic graphs now with PAC Display. So you can have a PAC Display HMI that shows historical trends, plus a groov HMI that shows current trends.
Does that sound like something you would bet your career on ?

For a completely webbased SCADA/HMI solution maybe Inductive Automation is a better solution.

Hello Jesper- Thank you for your feedback on the name of our product.

groov tends to get grouped into the larger HMI/SCADA category for purposes of comparison. That's reasonable, as a product like groov doesn't necessarily have its own category. Yet.

groov was developed to address a growing need: to view automation and control system data from any mobile device, regardless of screen size or operating system.

All of the mobile and web-based solutions on the market today (including the one you suggested) require browser plug-ins or operating system plug-ins like Flash, Silverlight, and Java. These technologies are not supported across all mobile devices, and therefore are platform and OS dependent. Support for these plug-ins on PCs is also problematic and an IT headache.

Furthermore, we have yet to see any solution on the market that is 100% scalable on the device you're viewing it from. Developing operator interface screens for the seemingly infinite number of screens sizes out there--mobile or otherwise--is a non-starter.

So, we chose to take advantage of an app resident on virtually any mobile device, be it a smartphone, tablet, or even iPod Touch: the web browser. Of course, any PC can run a web browser too, as well as netbooks, Macs, Chromebooks, Linux computers, even HDTVs.

Then, we built groov with similar technologies used to build Google Apps, Facebook, Twitter, Microsoft Office 365 and more, like HTML5, CSS, JavaScript, SVG, and browser caching. That's it.

With groov, you can view and control your systems from any device with any screen size from anywhere. In fact, even the development environment for building your groov screens is completely done within the web browser. No software to download; no plug-ins to install.

Finally, regarding the "thin" feature set. Indeed, groov is a new product, first released in spring 2013. As such, enormous development is underway to address this. One particular development cycle is almost complete: the capability for groov to communicate with any OPC-UA compatible system. groov OPC Client Option should be released in November 2013, and opens up groov to virtually any automation system in service today.

So we invite you to stay tuned for future developments. And give us a try with our 2 hour demo mode, also coming very soon.

Kind regards, -Benson

Hi Benson.

No doubt your product has potential. But going by the information from your website, and your own statements I think your product isnt just new, more like half-finished. No offense meant.
"enormous development is underway", "almost complete", "should be released".
I think that it is something that must weigh heavily for anyone that considers your product.

Sorry for treating the name of your product with disrespect. But seriously, how did you come by it ?

I agree with Jesper's comment. It sounds as if they haven't finished the concept, much less finished the product.
The concept also raises a LOT of security concerns.

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies, and yes I know it's not a full historian or logging software solution, but to get realtime display up on any device for at moment info for the Boss and crew this might do the trick. I believe the unfinished part is just the opc-ua part which is what I'm waiting for to go to my ControlLogix system, I would rather not have to buy a Pac controller and bridge my system. We have the Rockwell Metrix setup being used for part info and database access, but to get the on-screen realtime info we gonna have to purchase a couple seat license at around 3grand a pop, may buy this to get the info they want and then add our Metrix stuff for the reporting and database requirements at only one seat license.