Rs485

angi

Hi Guys

there is a RS485 interface and a dip switch used to set address for in a motor drive, in its operation manual , they did not mention what protocol could be used to communication with it, could I use Profibus protocol to control it?

thanks

There is a yellow wire going out from out of a switchboard and I want to know could I wire a lamp to it?
Hey, please provide some info, otherwise - my cristal ball says "Oh, yes it is really 485"

You need to determine the make and model of the drive and share that with us if you want some advice.

In my opinion, there's a 30% chance it's Modbus RTU and a 5% chance it's Profibus DP. That leaves a 65% chance it's a proprietary protocol specific to this model of drive.

I will be clear so that there is no chance of misunderstanding:

You are not posting enough details for Forum members to help you.

Posting that this is a "MOVIDRIVE" is more helpful than posting that it is a "motor drive", but you need to post real details, like the exact and complete model number.

Describing a connector is not very helpful. Providing the connector label name or a photograph of the connector is helpful.

Stating that information is not in the user manual is not very helpful. Posting the exact Publication Number of that user manual and the sections you have searched for this information would be more helpful.

If the following link is the user manual for the Movidrive you are using, then the MOVIMOT serial protocol is described in Chapter 7:

http://download.sew-eurodrive.com/download/pdf/17000017.pdf

This protocol is not Profibus, and it is not Modbus.

hi Ken
sorry for the confusion, this is the manual I have here, just like you said it is not a Profibus and not a Modbus, so if I want to connect with AB PLC, how to do that?

I missed Mdim's replay, maybe we need install a communication module on the drive.