Is it safe to buy laptop w/ logix ware on ebay?

narky

probably not safe, and questionably legal. If in doubt, ask Rockwell.....

Those two users have only ever sold seven items, and all of them were laptops with Rockwell Software installed.

So let's apply Occam's Razor to the possibilities:

1. One or more eBay users are selling used laptop computers with legitimate transferable software licenses worth more than $10,000 for between $600 and $700 because they are obsolete 'training stations'.

2. One or more eBay users is selling $200 used laptops with pirated Rockwell Software licenses for $600 to $700.

The Universe is a big and strange place, so there is a very small chance that this eBay seller is really offering transferable licenses at a fraction of their value. For our purposes, we will postulate that the activations are illegal copies.

The eBay listings don't actually claim the licenses are transferable, but all non-transferable licenses (Gold Masters, site licenses, and Toolkits) use time-based expiration.

So the question is "is it a criminal infringement of copyright for me to buy a software product that is illegally copied" ?

I'm not sure. The eBay seller is committing criminal copyright infringement, but I'm not sure that a buyer would be committing a similar crime.

A few years ago a couple of guys were prosecuted in Federal court and did jail time for selling Rockwell Software toolkits on eBay. I wasn't personally involved in the case, but just read some news articles about it. In my recollection, none of the purchasers were prosecuted.