Checking fault codes and fixing

unsaint32

Another newbie question from me....

My MLX1400 threw the following error code: Major Halt S:1/13 and S:6 = 08h. As you can tell, I am a newbie to automation. I looked up the error code table (in RSLogix500's help file) and found the hex code 0008.

Q1) Is it the way I am supposed to diagnose the fault?

Q2) Also, in Controllogix 5000, is there way to look up the status file like MLX1400? Or is accessing fault codes totally different in CLX5K?

Thanks.

NEW-2.jpg NEW-4.jpg

A1 - Yes

A2 - Totally different in Logix5000 systems, there is no "Status" file that can be displayed on the programming software and read by/written to directly by your PLC code.

Everything is held in an object-orientated database called the "System Value" area.

Of course the programming software reads and writes to this area without you having to worry about the actual location of the data.

But if you want to interrogate stuff like fault codes, module status, etc., from within your code you have to use the instruction GSV (Get System Value), to read the system data into a usable tag, and if you need to write to the status area you use the SSV (Set System Value) instruction.

For a new user of Logix5000 it all looks unfamiliar and formidable, but it isn't that difficult once you've seen an example or two...

I did read about GSV and SVS on a Rockwell manual. I will try again. BTW, after I posted this question, I realized 1756 L71 has fault codes scroll by on the module screen. I guess I can look that code up. Is that a reliable starting point to handle faults? Or do most CLX5K users create GSV and SVS?