! Step 7 840D experts !

Timeismoney08

New to step 7 and I have a few questions.

Are DB,s used to handshake bits to the hmi and nc controller?

Can I view the nc program through my laptop?

I have a input on a screen I need the address to. I can't locate it in the program. Could I use winnCC to find it?

Yes, the Data Blocks are used to handshake between the NC controller and the PLC.
The PLC is typically used to control the digital IO. You will need additional add on software for your Step 7 package.

By NC program - do you mean the part program?
What is the address you are looking for?
If it is used in the PLC code, you should be able to find it. But it may be displayed on the screen as a digital address(Bool) e.g. DB200.dbx22.0, but used a byte / word / dword in the PLC logic.

Yes, the Data Blocks are used to handshake between the NC controller and the PLC.
The PLC is typically used to control the digital IO. You will need additional add on software for your Step 7 package.

By NC program - do you mean the part program?
What is the address you are looking for?
If it is used in the PLC code, you should be able to find it. But it may be displayed on the screen as a digital address(Bool) e.g. DB200.dbx22.0, but used a byte / word / dword in the PLC logic.

What program would I use to see the NC controller? I have the 840D add on package for step 7.

I have never been any deeper into the 840D to know any of the programming on it. I have noticed in my Step 7 programs DB's are written to somewhere outside of the PLC. Just curious how these are set-up on the NC side. I really need to learn the controller.

Thanks in advance

New to step 7 and I have a few questions.

Are DB,s used to handshake bits to the hmi and nc controller?

Can I view the nc program through my laptop?

I have a input on a screen I need the address to. I can't locate it in the program. Could I use winnCC to find it?
840D is similar to a Simotion controller though it is used strictly for CNC setup.
I assume that if you have the actual add-on for step 7 you should be in good shape using "starter" to attempt to go online.
It is possible that even "scout" will allow you to go online as they are both similar controllers.
The input issue, can be resolved by using WinCCflex to look under the numeric display tag properties to locate the address you're after.
They may have used a direct write (actual I/O in the controller) or a buffer where the HMI input points to a register in the controller that gets manipulated and thrown into another register/location within the controller.
I would start with "Starter" as it is cheaper than "Scout".
Do a search under "Installed Software" from Step 7 manager.
It will display all the installed packages and if you are lucky, starter may be installed already on your PC.

You can save your self a lot of time (grief) and therefore money if you take a 840D course from Siemens.
The 840D is a different animal, it is also customized, so what you are seeing on the HMI screen may be unique to your machine.

You can save your self a lot of time (grief) and therefore money if you take a 840D course from Siemens.
The 840D is a different animal, it is also customized, so what you are seeing on the HMI screen may be unique to your machine.

What class would you suggest?
From the classes I see on Sitrain, none of them look like what I need.
Please give me advice.

What type of work are you doing with the 840D?
Will you be modifying / building a system or maintaining an existing system?

Siemens has a Maintenance class with advanced HMI class which would be a start.
You should also be familiar with the S7 so either the programming or maintenance class for that. Finally, a WinCCFlex class.
There is also a programming and operations class for the 840d, but I am not sure of the content.

The S7 and Flex classes are run fairly often, but the CNC classes are harder to find / schedule.

I have not worked with an 840 for quite a while, perhaps someone else on the board can offer additional insight.

What type of work are you doing with the 840D?
Will you be modifying / building a system or maintaining an existing system?

Siemens has a Maintenance class with advanced HMI class which would be a start.
You should also be familiar with the S7 so either the programming or maintenance class for that. Finally, a WinCCFlex class.
There is also a programming and operations class for the 840d, but I am not sure of the content.

The S7 and Flex classes are run fairly often, but the CNC classes are harder to find / schedule.

I have not worked with an 840 for quite a while, perhaps someone else on the board can offer additional insight.

I will be doing all the above. I feel like the hardware side is pretty straightforward, but I have run into issues that have made no since at all. Usualy comes back to a corrupt NC program that send you all over.
I will need to know how to add things on the screen, modify parameters, change existing machines sequences/ add sequences to the servos.
I alreadt took 2 classes on S7 and feel comfortable with it. But in the 840, that covers a fraction of what i can see.