G3 PLC to Ethernet adapter

zeroinside

Hi.
This is my first post on this forum, so I should say Hello.
I'm convinced that users in this forum are experienced in this kind of topics:)
I've looking for PLC to Ethernet adapter or PLC to RS232. I found some adapters, but every adapter have unnecessary options like encryption, 4-Layer OSI encapsulation. All I need is simply transfer of ANY data in 2-7 OSI layer from my coputer to other computer over PLC, without encapsulation.

Can anybody recommend provider or model of such hardware?

Last edited:
We offer media converters from Westermo. More information can be viewed through the link to our web site.

http://www.eternity-sales.com/Westermo/media_converters.htm

Included are data sheets and manuals. For serial to Ethernet, you will want to review the EDW100.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to respond to this post, pm me through this site or you can email me through the link found in my signature.

I'm not sure, that EDW100 is that what I need, because there's something like "Packing algorithm" - probably all data over network is packed. I need a plain data, same in ethernet side and PLC side.
By the way, that theres some misunderstand, because I thinking about PLC in meaning like Power Line Communication
I thinking about Triangle Research ethernet adapter, but - in this example KEP touch screens are connected over PLC? I see there Serial Port output and PLC?:) Can You send me some specification?

Last edited:
The terminology is the problem. In this Forum, "PLC" means "Programmable Logic Controller".

I have seen a few power-line modems for transmission of IP protocol; these are commonly used as network extenders in residential wiring. There's a standard called HomePlug 1.0 for those.

Are you looking for an interface that runs on 120V AC wiring, or on 480V or higher wiring ?

Being a PLC forum, as Ken had mentioned, to me it meant programmable logic controller.

With regards to your requirement, the EDW100 can operate in the following:

User Datagram Protocol (UDP)

UDP provides a connectionless datagram service. This means that the arrival of data-
gram’s or data packets is not controlled and the reliability of the communication is the
responsibility of the application layer protocol. In this way UDP is a simpler method of
communication than TCP. As data is sent and received without any established connection the data transfer is more efficient and often faster. UDP is therefore used in applications that require efficient use of the bandwidth and also have a higher level protocol to handle lost data.

Transmission Control Protocol (TCP)

TCP is a connection-oriented delivery service. Connection oriented means that a con-

nection must be established before hosts can exchange data. An acknowledgement is
used to verify that the data was received by the other host. For data segments sent, the
receiving host must return an acknowledgement (ACK). If an ACK is not received, the
data is retransmitted. Flow-control between the hosts is managed by TCP. For larger
amounts of data that have to be split between packets TCP provides a method for reli-
ably reassembling the data in the correct order. Because of the requirement to establish a connection and acknowledge transmissions, TCP takes longer time to transmit data than UDP and uses more bandwidth.When delivered the EDW-100 is in TCP server
mode.

TCP Server mode

This mode makes it possible to accept incoming TCP connections attempts to the

EDW-100 from an TCP client e.g. a EDW-100 in TCP client mode. Other examples
of TCP clients: Telnet client establishing a raw TCP connection, COM-port redirector
software running on a Windows PC.

TCP Client mode

This mode makes it possible to establish a TCP connection to a remote TCP server e.g.

a EDW-100 in TCP Server mode. DSR signal rising or a powering up the unit will trigger the EDW-100 to make an connection attempt to the specified server depending on configuration. UDP mode UDP is a connection less protocol sending datagram’s i.e. there are less overhead traffic compared to TCP and no acknowledgement packets will be sent between the peer’s during communication. Using UDP will enable the EDW-100 to send and listen to broadcast- and multicast messages.

It packs based on certain conditions being met.