Redlion and ML1100 connectivity

kxs436

Hello,
I am planning to use Red Lion G303 with ML1100 for a project. Could anyone tell what cable I would need to connect ML1100 to the Red Lion G303? My setup would have the G303 connected to the internet.

Also, Does the G303 have the capabilities to send out emails (alarms and reports).

Thank You
Karthik

You only need a Ethernet cable. A crossover cable if you don't use a switch. You can also use a USB cable for the program download. I sometimes use a USB cable for the initial download. Once I do the first one the Ethernet parameters are set so I don't need the USB cable anymore.

As far as email goes I know the G series can do it and my next project is to find out how to do it. It looks fairly straight forward but until I do it it is hard to say how easy it will be.

I know Jeremy with Red Lion answers a lot of posts, so Jeremy could you give us some examples of how to create a email from the G3? The alarms are pretty straight forward but where I am confused is how to set up a email with some tag data in the email. I am sure the OP could use that info too:D

Let's take one short step back. You're talking about the smallest member of the G3 family, the G303.

My copy of Crimson 3 doesn't even have the G303 as a hardware option.

Is this an existing terminal or are you buying it new ?

In general, I download a simple database (Red Lion's word for an HMI application) with a "Hello World" display and a configuration for the Ethernet port. This initial download is done over RS-232 if that's all that is available (like on a Kadet terminal) or over USB (on an ordinary G3).

After that download's been done, I always use Ethernet for subsequent downloads.

In general I would use Ethernet for everything; you're going to want it for uploading/downloading/monitoring the G3 and the MicroLogix, so why not use it.

Because you said the G3 would be connected "to the Internet", I have to issue my usual warning that a VPN endpoint appliance is the minimum security measure for connecting a control system to the Internet. Even if a hacker never notices you, a bot crawler will notice the open HTTP port withing a few minutes and your system will rapidly be overloaded by bots attempting to connect to it.

As Bullzi has stated you will need an Ethernet cable, the type will vary depending on your actual connection. When you configure an alarm the is an option for Mail To:, which automatically sends an email to the contact specified in the mail manager.

Ken,
The G303 is only supported by Crimson 2 since it has a Monochrome display, but it is most certainly still an active part. While I agree that Ethernet download is nice on the Kadet line, I still prefer USB on any device which as the option. Downloads are faster especially if you need to update firmware, and there is less chance of a connection failure.

Thanks
Jeremy