Ethernet switch ports are not lighting up when connected to another switch

lufen

I'm working with some Stratix 5700 10-port ethernet switches. After configuring the IP addresses, I plug in my computer and several devices, the lights on the port flash green, which is normal. But when I attempt to connect another switch to it, the port lights on both switches don't light up, and no communication can be established. What might cause this?

Have you tried using a cross-over cable? Back in the day before auto detect, clients (such as computers network cards) had TX and RX on reversed pins from how switches and hubs were set up, allowing you to use a straight-through cable to connect a switch to a PC. However, if you needed to connect two switches together, you had to either a) Use a cross-over cable to make sure the TX of one switch went to the RX of the other or B) use the 'uplink' port on the switch that did the cross over for you.

This is the same reason you need a Crossover cable if you connect a PC directly to a PLC with an older PC.

What firmware? There is a known anomaly that causes these ports to have issues. You may need to force the ports into full duplex.

@Helliana: The 5700 supports auto-mdix. Unless disabled either cable would work.

Last edited:
Just an update, I held the express setup button until the settings are reset to default, the proceeded as normal to configure IP and disable DHCP. Works now, weird.