Heat Dissipation

Charbel

Dear,

i was wondering concening how to estimate heat dissipation for SCADA workstation, laser printer, report printer, servers that would be located in control room / server room.

as a rule of thumb, i am estimating the heat dissipation by getting the power consumed.
Say, SCADA workstation = 500 Watt consummed = 500 Watt heat transfer
laser printer = 500 Watt consumed = 500 Watt heat transfer
report printer = 320 Watt Consumed = 320 Watt heat transfer
Server, each (even if we have dual redundant) = 870 W consumed = 870 W heat transfer.

any thought on the above mentionned value and concept?

thanks a lot!

charbel

You are correct in your method.

Always think in terms of an energy balance. If energy is entering the room from wall outlets through the devices it has to go someplace. (First Law of Thermodynamics) The only place to go for these devices is into the room, and the way it is appears is as heat. The room warms up, and the heat has to go someplace. If you are relying on natural cooling by conduction to the outside world through the walls it will get warm indeed. If you use an air conditioner the heat energy generated is moved by it to the outside world. (Plus some additional heating of the world because of losses in the air conditioner!)