RSLinx crashing?

unsaint32

when I try to go online with Studio 5000 to a CLX5K, the WhoActive screen takes forever to load the network image. Then, the "upload" button stays grayed out. After searching many forum postings, I suspect RSLinx might be crashing. But when I open RSlinx, it shows all connected loads. Is there a way to definitely know if my RSLinx is indeed crashing?

thanks.

try this.
Shutdown rslinx
run command: net stop harmony /yes
then: del "C:\Program files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon\Harmony.rsh"
then: del "C:\Program files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon\Harmony.hrc"

Then try again.

Best regards,
crawler009

when I try to go online with Studio 5000 to a CLX5K, the WhoActive screen takes forever to load the network image. Then, the "upload" button stays grayed out. After searching many forum postings, I suspect RSLinx might be crashing. But when I open RSlinx, it shows all connected loads. Is there a way to definitely know if my RSLinx is indeed crashing?

thanks.

Hi unsaint32... I'm just wondering why you want to "upload" each time you go online. If you've been online and done a save to your hard-disk then you can just "go online" without having to perform an upload.

Even if there are changes in the controller (perhaps done by someone else), you can nearly always go online because the controller will automatically update your offline project file with the same changes that were made to it. This is correlation.

When you come to exit RSLogix5000, it will prompt you that changes have been uploaded from the controller and give you a choice whether to save the project, or not - your choice of course.

Also, if you hit the button at the bottom of the Who Active screen that says "Set Project Path", this will allow you to save the path to the controller in the project file. When that is set, you can just open a file, then use the drop-down to "go online" without even having to browse for the controller in "Who Active".

You are right. If you don't already know, I am an entry level PLC tech. One thing threw me off was that when I go online, the program asks me to "select file," even though I don't already have the image file. Anyway, since I posted this original discussion, I have learned to just go online instead, and save at the end exactly as you said. BTW, it turned out RSLinx crashing was not the problem. The laptop was used by multiple users and the previous user did not log out of RSLinx and that was causing the RSLinx to crawl when I log on and try to use it. Thanks for your help.

If you are going online without the matching offline project file then you will have to "Select File" (it will put the processor name as the name of the file), "Create File", and "Upload".

But it may be that RSLogix is not looking in the correct place on your hard-disk where your files are stored. It looks in the folder specified in "Tools" -> "Options", for the project file. If your project files are not stored there, you can change this default location, or you can use your windows browser to locate them and simply double-click the relevant .ACD project file. This will launch RSLogix5000, and open the file. And as I said before, if the communications path to the controller is stored in the project, simply click on "go online", and the job is done.

And you may not be aware that going online without the matching offline project file means that you will get absolutely NO documentation, tag descriptions, rung comments etc.

You say you are "entry-level" tech, believe me when I tell you that having no documentation you will invariably struggle to make sense of the code. Even seasoned programmers and technicians struggle in these circumstances.