micrologix 1100 IP address

nuby01

I am attempting to address a micrologix 1100, followed directions using bootp/dhcp server utility but the controllers MAC address never shows up. What's frustrating is that none of the tech notes (instructions) I've read ever mention what to do if the controller's MAC does NOT show up.

Anyone run into this before? I must be doing something drastically wrong!

nuby01,

may i suggest the following.
1 make sure bootp is installed - you said it is.
2. connect the pc to the plc using a crossover cable if it is a direct connection or get a 4 port hub (what we have) to make the connection.
3. run boot p on the pC.
4. apply power to the plc.

bootp searches mac adresses fast at first then backs off to keep the program from overwhelming the network.

when the mac address pops up, click on the mac address, then type in the desired ip address. i haven't done this in a while, its from memory.

regards,
james

Maybe it already has an IP and BOOTP has been disabled.

Use the display to monitor - 'Advance Set' - 'ENET Cfg'

An alternative would be to use the serial port to send a dummy program with BOOTP enabled. Run it to re-enable BOOTP.

Last edited:
I wish I had a serial cable! I've attached an image of the bootp screen, the MAC I'm trying to reach is 000F73038D8D, you'll notice it's not there and also only DHCP requests are made, so the controller is not requesting an IP?

Is there any way to test connection between PC and PLC using MAC address only? I'm wondering if this could be the issue? I am connected through a switch with straight cables, can't ping a MAC by any chance?

bootp.JPG

DHCP requests mean that the controller is requesting an IP Address; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol
Unfortunately your PC cannot provide DHCP services.
You could try patching the ML1100 to your business LAN; the DHCP server will assign it an IP Address (contact your IT department for the expected addressing ranges); once the CPU Ethernet port has an assigned address, match your PC's NIC settings to the LAN ones, connect to the ML1100 CPU and DISABLE DHCP while setting a Static IP Address.

Well, it looks like the BOOTP utility was improperly deployed; the CPU's Ethernet port BOOTP functionality had been "Disabled" however, the DHCP has not; consequently, you cannot run the BOOTP utilty anymore and the ML1100 needs a DHCP generated IP Address.
Your personal PC most likely cannot provide DHCP services; if your business provides a LAN, it most likely provides DHCP services also; connect the ML1100 to a LAN socket and an IP Address will be assigned to it within a few seconds; retrieve the address via the LCD display functions; match your PC's NIC IP Address to the ML1100 ones (identical first three octets), run RSLinx (or RSLogix 500) and then DISABLE the ML's DHCP state.

When connecting to a Micrologix using the BOOTP utility I often see DHCP requests even though there are no devices which use DHCP on the machine. I believe they are the result of my wi-fi port seeing DHCP requests by other devices in the plant querying the plant wi-fi network. I can't turn the wi-fi off because the activations are received through it.

ok thanks for the help, not sure how I improperly deployed bootp though?

I will try the other method you suggested, will RSlogix Micro work or does it need to be 500?

RSLogix 500 Micro Starter Lite will work with ML1000 and ML1100 CPUs.
Try connecting to the CPU Serially and verify the Ethernet port's settings.
As a rule of thumb, do not deploy the BOOTP utility over a network; use it only within a point-to-point connection (ML1100 Ethernet port to PC NIC interface)