Production data management

Amy_Fields

I am looking into calculating production data such as part count, cycle times and operator efficiency and then displaying this info on a graph on a computer monitor. I am relatively new to this and would like some more info on how I would accomplish this with AB Micrologix and compact logix processors. Would someone be so kind as to shed some light on this for me on perhaps where and how I would begin?

Thank you,

I would probably start by looking at Factory Talk Transaction Manager (RSSQL), using this you can log whatever information you like from your control systems to your favorite flavour of DBS. (MSSQL, MYSQL etc.)

I have one question. As I understand you have the production line but you don't have the PLCs (Micrologix and Compactlogix), is that right?
If so you first have to mace the PLCs "know" the information you want to be displayed. This is done with different type of sensors, depending on the process.

Ignition by Inductive Automation is one of the best SCADA packages out there today. A system like this is a three step process.

1) Get required data using a PLC
2) Setup communication between PLC and Scada server
3) Develop SCADA user interface

http://www.inductiveautomation.com/ - check out the demos

I agree about IA. However, without knowing more about your application it is difficult to say. How large is the application: 100 data points or 10,000? How robust must it be? How important is scalability to you? Who do you want to have access to data: local people or worldwide?

There are quite a few ways to go with this.

... would like some more info on how I would accomplish this with AB Micrologix and compact logix processors. Would someone be so kind as to shed some light on this for me on perhaps where and how I would begin?
Your question is very broad. If you could narrow it down to one type (MicroLogix or Compact Logix) and one model of that type, then we can help you. If these are the two types in your school lab, then the MicroLogix is older and there will be more people who can help with that one.

In addition to the PLC brand and model, you will get easier results using some type of HMI panel and software that has the ability to draw graphs. Otherwise, you have to import or move the data from the PLC into a program such as Microsoft Excel.

The details of the process being monitored also are important. You cannot do a measurement and collect data without knowing what process is to be measured. For example, how are you going to measure operator efficiency?

Last edited: