DDE link excel in windows 7

KEN_KACEL

I am trying to run an excel file in 2003 which has DDE links and push buttons.
I get an error when running one of my push buttons . It errors on

RSIchan = DDEInitiate("RSLINX", "FISH_FEED_X6")

Why does this not work in Window 7? And what should it be?

o_O

It is 2013, do you have a "time link" back to 2003?

Very likely it is Windows 7 causing the problem. DDE is no longer supported.

Hopefully someone has a work-around or plug-in for you. But if not you may need to run a Virtual XP box such as Microsoft's XP Mode.

It is 2013, do you have a "time link" back to 2003?

Very likely it is Windows 7 causing the problem. DDE is no longer supported.

Hopefully someone has a work-around or plug-in for you. But if not you may need to run a Virtual XP box such as Microsoft's XP Mode.

Local DDE is still supported in Windows 7. It is only NetDDE that is no longer compatible. To use DDE, you'll need for your spreadsheet to reside on the same machine as the HMI attempting to initiate the DDE exchanges.

I tried running the excel spread sheet in Virtrual XP and get the same error. Thought XP was like having windows XP on yout Windows 7 box. Gotta love it. I still have my trusty old HP zd8000 run this stuff on.
So the story is that to peek or poke with excel, the RSIchan = DDEIntiate command will not work. That takes some of my powers away.

So the story is that to peek or poke with excel, the RSIchan = DDEIntiate command will not work. That takes some of my powers away.

There has to be more too it, have a similar function we use in excel to download/upload PLC data, it was DDE based up until recently when we switched to OPC (faster), I didn't have problem using DDE with Office 2010 on my Windows 7 Pro 64 bit system.

Maybe something is corrupt in RSLinx and is broke?

You have the PLC topic properly configured in RSLinx? You have a licensed copy of RSLinx and not running "Lite" version correct? RSLinx is running when you try this correct?

EDIT: This is the code we use:

RSIChan = Application.DDEInitiate(app:="RSLinx", topic:=Topic_Name)

Last edited:
I am using windows 7 and excel 2010 and it works fine here is the code that uses a PB to write a value from a cell to a tag in the PLC.

Private Sub CommandButton2_Click()
Value2 = DDEInitiate("RSLinx", "KN010B2")
DDEPoke Value2, "KN010Stack.HoldSeqNum", Cells(36, 4)
DDETerminate Value2
End Sub

KN010B2 is the processor name
"KN010Stack.HoldSeqNum" is the name of the tag I am writing to
Cells(36, 4) is the cell that contains the value I am writing

Hope this will help

Last edited: