Soft for TSX17 ?

DUY,

What brand is a TSX17? Is this a Texas Instruments PLC? I don't remember that one, but Koyo in Japan made most of the old Texas Instruments PLCs, and I understand that the current Koyo Direct Logic, (also called Automation Direct) software will work with the Texas Instuments PLCs. The website is automationdirect.com

A TSX17 was manufactured by Telemecanique (now part of Schneider Electric). Do you need PL7-1 or PL7-2 (not to be confused with PL7-07 or PL7-Pro/Junior/or Micro)?

Contact your local Schneider Electric distributor to purchase the correct package.

Woah, Lancie1

I think a statement along the lines of
Koyo in Japan made most of the old Texas Instruments PLCs
is hardly doing justice to a fine range of equipment. Where's your national pride, man?

<RANT>
Look at the 5TI. US born and bred. Many people around the world cut their PLC teeth on this unit, and that includes Koyo's own engineers. I know that Koyo filled a number of training courses at TI back in the early 80's and then, based on what they had learned, produced something a fraction the size, but with essentially the same functions. They didn't want to market it themselves, just manufacture, so they looked for a partner and found GE willing to take on the product. It became the GE Series 1 - possibly the biggest selling PLC of all time. Later, when GE got in to bed with Fanuc, poor old Koyo found themselves without a PLC partner, and guess who picked up the old GE Series 1, re-badged it and sold it as the 305? Yup, the very same Texas Instruments that had taught Koyo how to make PLCs 15 years before! So, there you have it: the 305 and it's bigger brother the 405 were briefly marketed by TI before the Siemens acquisition.

What else did TI do? Oh, let me see, how about the first PLC I ever saw that had PID loops, floating point maths, and a non-ladder-logic language for using these maths built-in, the PM550? Years ahead of its time. Koyo's involvement? Nil.

What about 500-series and 505-series stuff, the latter still manufactured by Siemens in the same TI factory? Koyo involvement? Nil.

And software? Don't make me laugh. What did Koyo contribute to man's understanding of machine control or process control? Stage? The poor man's sequential function charts. I'm sorry but I think the single most impressive PLC programming package I have ever seen was TI's APT. Graphical, object-oriented, structured programming 20 years ago when most people were still struggling to produce a half-decent ladder editor. The only other place you could find that level of programming was in DCS installations costing 6-figure sums minimum.

I know every time a new thread gets started here when someone wants a cheap and simple PLC solution to a problem the inevitable answer will appear "use a Koyo / Automation Direct xyz". No problems with that - I understand they are very popular, available everywhere, and cheap. But let's not start giving them credit for things they didn't do, and knocking a company who every so often were one of the real innovators in the business.
</RANT>

There. I'll get off the soap-boax and let someone else have a go now!

Thanks for the time,

Regards

Ken