infared signaling

Tony Boniol

Hello to all!
Does anyone know of an infared device which is communicating with a PLC? Not sensoring devices but something simular to a remote for a TV or VCR. The reason for this is because i'm having to run wiring around other pieces of equipment, which sometimes gets in the way, just to tell one plc what to run. Boy talk about going in a circle! I need one plc to tell another plc which product to run, and I thought it would be nice to have an infared device which could send a signal across an unobstructed distance to a receiver which would be hooked to another piece of equipments plc. I know about wireless communication, but I'm not really into using them. PLC-type AB-Micro 1500. Thanks

Infra red need eye line(or clear view) to work.Why dont you use photo sensor with receiver and transmitter
When the portable machine is work the transmitter is working then the other mashine have signal.
It about a same distance like remote control.

Its a same idea. Crokers mention Sick as photo sensors manufacturer
But any brand might work.
Chose the sensor according to your distance and the sensor location.
It should be in place thet notthing would interfere the beam.

Use a Banner Radio Transmitter.

It's capable of a few digital I/O as well as Analog I/O.
It is very reliable and the price ain't that bad.

It's in their new catalog.

(121)

Tony,

it would help if you told a bit more about the problem that you have to solve.

"i'm having to run wiring around other pieces of equipment, which sometimes gets in the way".
Do you mean that the equipment is moving during operation ?
Or are you frequently moving equipment to suit different setups ?
Or... ?

Can the position that a piece of equipment be called a "station" (like, 30 possible stations are possible, but only 5 are in use).

What are the distances ?
How much data do you need to communicate ?

That SICK infrared stuff isnt cheap. You will need a transmitter + a reciever FOR EACH DEVICE !

If the equipment uses stations (stationary, but many choices of positions), then a simple scheme would be to arrange a busnetwork (Profibus, DeviceNet, Ethernet, other..) with many prearranged "taps" which the equipment can be connected to in a flexible manner.
Cabling can be laid so that it doesnt get in the way (in floor, or in the ceiling).

Infared

I may have been somewhat vague in my description, of what I wanted to do. Sorry for that, so I'll try again.(1). I have a machine which has a vision system on it to tell the piece of equipment if the part is complete in the nest fixture, before allowing it to do its process. (2). The other piece of equipment 20-feet away does another process, but the 1st piece of equipment signals the 2nd machine what to run also. Sensors in the fixture (nest) ID's the part type (Right Hand or Left Hand)+ the style. If it is not correct the machine will not function. My idea was to replace this cable with a device which would only require an alignment of the 2-pieces of equipment, which will be approximately 20-feet apart. I thought I could utlize an Infared device much like that of a TV remote. The signal's will tell each machine what it is to run. Total outputs 4, total inputs 4. The pieces of equipment do get moved around sometimes, but they are stationary when in production. I appreciate the input Thanks!

So, the problem is that you cannot lay the cable in a fixed way (because you rearrange the equipment once in while), and then the cable "gets in the way". And we are talking about one cable between two pieces of equipment.

An industrial infrared link would be overkill for your aplication.

I would either hang the cable from the ceiling.
Or I would lay the cable on the floor under a protective cover. You can find such covers that are flat and will allow a truck to run over them with no problems.

Infared

Yes maybe an overkill, but its called continuous improvement at our plants. I can see if this will work being an improvement for future projects, where the cable could become many. Besides its a great way to experiment with new ideas.