V21 to V16 Logix designer support

jgreg

Hi all,
Problem:
I'm trying to connect to an Compactlogix 1769-L32E processor using RSLogix5000 V21. Unfortunately it now seems that this processor only supports firmwares up to V20. When I try to connect RSLogix reports:

To access this controller you must either:
Update the controllers Firmware (I can't)
Install Logix designer support for this firmware

I've looked all over for this "logix designer support". I expect that it will enable me to talk with the V16 processor. It's not on the CD. I cant find it on the Rockwell site. My software supplier isn't ringing me back. Please help!
I'm connected remotely (teamviewer) to the laptop which is running RSLogix 5000 which is connected to the PLC.
Thanks,
John

John,

On the installation CD for RSLogix5000, it allows you to install previous versions, so you could insert the CD and run the installation again, remembering to install each version you will need.

If you have a techconnect contract then you can download the version you need from the Rockwell website.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks for the reply Mark,

The new version 21 software has changed a lot and doesn't allow installation of previous versions. It seems like they have changed the core of it this time; windows 7 only, new name "Studio 5000". A bit of a nightmare really.

John.

For support you will need to install RsLogix 5000 V10-V20 and then install studio 5000 for V21 forward.

Consider them 2 seperate software packages and treat them as such. I put them on different VM's and it works well.

The RSLogix software is for a customer that just wants to get online to his plc and monitor and make the odd change. It looks like I am going to have to send it back to the supplier and obtain an earlier version.

John,

This is a basic aspect of RSLogix 5000 that's a little different from other software packages for PLCs.

The software isn't cumulative, like you expected: Version 21 of the software doesn't support the older versions of firmware (there were versions 20, 19, 18, 17, 16, 15, 13, 12, 11, 10, 8, 7, 6, 2).

Instead, each version of the RSLogix 5000 editor is installed to support the matching version of ControlLogix/CompactLogix controllers.

Since your CompactLogix is running version 16 firmware, you need to install RSLogix 5000 v16.

The good news: Buying a new copy of RSLogix 5000 gets you a DVD with versions 10 through 21 on it. It also gives you (at least) a 1 year TechConnect support contract, which makes you eligible to download all the older versions of RSLogix 5000.

The bad news: As software and operating systems evolve, they can get out of sync. Studio 5000 (yes, a new name) v21 runs on Windows 7 only, never XP or 2003. RSLogix 5000 v16 runs on Windows XP SP2 or SP3, but I don't think it's supported or tested in Windows 7.

Most users solve this by using Virtual Machines. It's not a perfect solution, but it's the easiest and most popular one.

Let me clarify one thing: you mentioned that the DVD for Studio 5000 v21 doesn't include the older versions of RSLogix 5000.

I don't know about this; I get my software via the Toolkit program and from RA's download system, and haven't received a retail DVD in years.

All older versions of RSLogix 5000 did come with older software revisions and firmware kits on the DVD disc. It's possible that v21 can't fit all that old stuff on a disc and therefore omits it in favor of the webservers.

Thanks for that Ken.

My customer only wants to get online with the PLC we provided, which is a 1769-L32E. I ordered RSLogix 5000 mini edition software to enable him to do this, expecting that it would be version 20 and he would immediately be able to connect. When the software arrived, however, it was version 21 "5000 studio" which he cannot use to connect to the L32E. If what you were saying about the tech connect contract is true (do you get this with mini edition?) it would be the perfect answer that he could download version 16. Another problem however is that he is having trouble logging in to his Rockwell account, but obviously this needs rectifying.
One thing that is apparent is the lack of support from Rockwell and Routico. I have spoken to about 5 different people, all promising to ring me back and never do.
Thanks to all contributors of this forum, it has helped me on many occasions.
When I finally get this problem sorted I will post the result here.
John.

Acquire the purchased license Serial # and the purchasing business name and dowload RSLogix 5000 Rev.20.01.01(under Localized Products)install package at:
https://download.rockwellautomation.com/webupdates/enter.aspx

The install package is some 4.1 GB and includes RSLogix 5000 Rev.10 through 20.

OK, many thanks for the info dmargineau. The customer is having trouble remembering the name that he entered for the "company name" but once he acquires this he can download version 20 and finally get on line.

John.

I just purchased the Studio Mini edition V21-00-03. All my computers are Windows XP Pro. I put in a user name and the company name and serial number. NEXT It shows a list of software on the disk to install. Logix Designer is not checked. So I can't install it. Only Firmware Kit is checked for install. Any ideas ?

Studio 5000 v21 is the first release of the Logix 5000 environment that doesn't support Windows XP.

That's one of the first things my rep mentioned about it, so I'm not sure where you will first encounter that in the release notes or installation documents.

You're going to need to use computers with Windows 7, or use RSLogix 5000 v20 or earlier.