Panelview Plus 1000 on flat screen TV?

kf5pv

Does anyone have any experience with displaying a PVP 1000 on a flat panel TV (ie42")? I am planning to setup a VNC to it and output video on a "big screen". I see the resolution is 640X480 so I am wondering what it would look like on the PC and on the flat panel?
I am about to order some TV's but thought I should look a little more into it.
working on firmware update and VNC machine already.
I am just not a good video guy, or good at to much else.

I see where I can change the resolution on the PVP 1000 To XVGA.
I really dont need to see the PVP 1000 Itself. I just need a fullscreen pretty picture with text, numbers, and colors. will this be Okay?

Thanks In advance.

Last edited:
I have run ME on a PC and output to a TV. You don't have to use native PV resolution. You can use custom size. You will need to purchase a runtime license though. This is different than what you are proposing, but I think a better alternative.

James

The VNC window is going to be at the resolution of the PV+ 1000.

Scaled up to full screen, it's not going to be very pretty; it will look like a magnified low-resolution screen.

I agree that you can run FTView ME at the native resolution of a PC video card and it will look far sharper than trying to view the PV+ via VNC.

Thanks James. I am pretty sure we have our license for it already.
So the picture looked good on the TV and covered the entire screen I assume.

Thanks

Paul

The picture was OK, not stellar. A monitor would look better than your average TV. I set the resolution in ME to that of the TV, so yes, it fit the entire screen.

James

Thanks Ken. I changed the resolution in the PV+ 1000 to the xvga and of coarse It was unreadable on the PV+ 1000 but will it be ok on the VNC?
After I get this up and running I really don't need the PV+ 1000 for anything. Just using it for line information only.

After reading a few more times I think I may be getting it haha. I am lacking in factory talk and have not done any of this yet. I am assuming that the video quality that I will get through the VNC will be poor and thats why it would be better to run me on a dedicated machine and just use that video out.

Now I understand why I would need another license.
A learning curve for me but will get it soon.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
I'm surprised that FactoryTalk View Studio allowed you to try to execute a runtime on the PV+ 1000 that was set for something other than the actual resolution of the PV+1000's screen.

I guess the Logic Module doesn't really know what sort of hardware it's installed in, and attempt to run whatever resolution you select.

I just displayed a PV+600 (320x240) project through VNC Fullscreen onto a 20" Dell monitor whose native resolution is 1680 x 1050.

It just looked like I'd taken a 320x240 JPG and blown it up to fullscreen. It wasn't great, but it wasn't unreadable.

I can install ME on a stand alone machine and just run the video out.
trying to figure out now why I cant install Factorytalk viewpoint ME.
The box will not let me check it to click next. I think the prereqs are all fine. on phone with RA now for support.

If I were you I would avoid VNC for this. I would use factorytalk viewpoint and get a flat screen that has the limited smart tv functions with a web browser then you just use the browser on that tv or any other device to view the screen.

Just wanted to update on this.
never had a chacne to try the web brouser on the TV but went with the VNC and HD video out of the PC to the TV over CAT5.

Looks good. the sreen shot is pretty much what it looks like on the tv except full screen.
Still a lot more work to do on it but thats all in time hopefully.

🍺

FWPC.jpg

If I were you I would avoid VNC for this. I would use factorytalk viewpoint and get a flat screen that has the limited smart TV functions with a web browser then you just use the browser on that TV or any other device to view the screen.
Kid,
Does a Smart TV Run Silverlight in its web browser? I know the that is a requirement to display the Viewpoint Webpage?? I have a need for such an application.