Micrologix1000 loss of communications

Cal357

I have a laptop running 32bit Windows 7, RSLinx version 3.60, and I'm trying to go online with a Micrologix1000 plc. (using RS-232 DF1 driver)

After performing an Auto-Configure routine, I'm able to establish comms and go online for a short while. It then seems that if i'm not actively doing something in the software, that I lose communications after only a couple minutes of idle time.

sometimes i'm able to hit 'Retry' and it connects again, other times i have to go back into RSLinx and do another Auto-Config.

Has anyone observed this issue before?

I'll bet you a donut you're using a USB/RS232 converter of some sort.

The Keyspan/Trippline USA-19HS is the Forum favorite for stability, performance, and compatibility.

I've had trouble with lots of other cheaper ones maintaining connections to various controllers over RS-232.

Grounding of the controller can also be an issue for any RS-232 connection; make sure there's a nice fat green wire from the controller's Ground terminal to a solid electrical earth strip.

Edit: Tripplite. The USA-19HS is widely available retail and online.

Last edited: