B&R PG2000 on Windows 7 with DOSBox

kopitalk

Hello,

I need to support B&R System 2003 and 2005 control systems which were programmed using B&R PG2000 software running in DOS environment. My current laptop is running Windows 7 Pro 32-bit with USB-serial cable (Prolific chip). I have tried DOSBox-0.74 to run PG2000, however I face intermittent connection especially in the midst of transferring data, and I need to restart either the DOSBox or the PCC in order to re-establish online connection.

Anyone can advise how to set either DOSBox or PG2000 settings so that a reliable online connection can be established?

Thank you in advance.

Hello kopitalk,

I have attached a pdf document with some screenshots how you can set the IDLE time of the serial protocol.

Maybe it can help you - maybe not.

We already had customers, who just could not connect through some serial adapters - one customer changed to a serial adapter via PCMCA card and it worked !.

So lets see.

br
bb

Hello kopitalk,

I have attached a pdf document with some screenshots how you can set the IDLE time of the serial protocol.

Maybe it can help you - maybe not.

We already had customers, who just could not connect through some serial adapters - one customer changed to a serial adapter via PCMCA card and it worked !.

So lets see.

br
bb

Forgot to mention that also the parameter "TIMEOUT" in the pg.ini file could help. we have been using values like 5-9 for local connections, values > 70 for modem connections....

Hello bb,

Thanks for the guide. Sadly I'm still having problem getting reliable connection. It worked a little bit better when I run it under DOS in VMware but still not satisfactory. My goal is to be able to run PG2000 properly in DOSBox as you have mentioned that it is achievable. Thanks again!

Hi Kopitalk,

sorry to hear you continue having problems.

The only thing I can additionally tell is that you could compare the settings of the dosbox-conf file.
Originally 'dosbox.conf' I have renamed it to 'dosbox.conf.txt' for the purpose of attaching it here. Also, we are using 0.73 instaead of 0.74 - anyhow I dont belive this is making the difference....

Maybe you can see some differences in the settings that will point you to the solution.

If not , I would

a) try another serial adapter
b) try another laptop (for test purposes) to see if it changes anything.

good luck
br
BB