Ethernet IP from CompactLogix to Pilz mc8p fieldbus module

agarb

Has anybody ever communicated with a Pilz mc8p Ethernet/IP fieldbus module via a CompactLogix processor? I’m finding the Pilz documentation to be a bit light and I am unsure how to configure the msg instruction. No great help from tech support, yet, either.

The manual essentially says this:
20 bytes must always be sent and received for communication with the PNOZmulti.

The input/output data from the PNOZmulti can be polled using the assembly object (Class 04h).
• Data from the PNOZmulti is requested using Instance 64h.
• Instance 96h writes the data from the Ethernet IP scanner to the PNOZmulti
I am thinking this would be a CIP generic message but not sure of service type, service code, attribute?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

I would try with an ordinary Generic EtherNet/IP Module object in the I/O tree.

The Assemblies in the I/O module configuration window are entered in Decimal, not hex, so just convert. Assembly 1, size 0 usually substitutes for the Configuration Assembly when it is not used.

If you were to send explicit messages, the Service would be Get Attribute Single. The Class would be 0x04 (Assembly), Instance 0x64 or 0x96, Attribute 1 (the actual data), size 20 bytes.

PNOZMulti_Assy.png

A correction; the Assembly Object's actual data is in Attribute 3, not Attribute 1.

That will not affect your I/O connection; use that as shown. But it would give you the wrong value if you did use an explicit MSG instruction.