Operating System - Windows 7 or 8

Charbel

dear,

i will buy a laptop and it has an Windows 8 as operating system, the problem with windows 8 is that it has many bugs and i dont like the interface.... but this is the future... what do to? shall i downgrade to windows 7 which is more reliable or stick to windows 8 which it will be upgraded to windows 8.1 soon?

thank you for your advice,
charbel

For what it's worth, I've not had any issues running under Windows 8. While the Metro interface is more suitable for touchscreens, utilities like Classic Shell will let you boot to the Desktop and give back the Start Menu.

In fact I use Classic Shell on Windows 7 machines, because I prefer the XP style Start menu.:)

Last edited:
Depends also on which software you intend to use.

Siemens software is only released for Windows 7 for example.

Hi!

If you are going to work with old software I would choose Win7.

Regards,
Bruno

This is not to say your stuff will not work on Win8. The major issues I've seen compatibility-wise has been getting things to work on a 64-bit system. There's generally less trouble installing on 32-bit systems, but that doesn't mean I'm going to shy away from a 64-bit system just because I don't want to take the time and effort... Heh. Sorry, started on a rant, and I'm going to stop now.

Interesting discussion...

Would a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit VMware machine with Siemens Installed work OK under Windows 8 host?

I cant initially see any issue with that.

Interesting discussion...

Would a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit VMware machine with Siemens Installed work OK under Windows 8 host?

I cant initially see any issue with that.

Windows 8 Pro includes Hyper-V so as long as you have a Windows 7 license you can run Windows 7 as a virtual machine without installing any other software.

I have had good success with Hyper-V.

Thanks.

It would be intel i7 and 8GB ram for sure.

Hyper-V sounds interesting also

Cheers

dear,

i will buy a laptop and it has an Windows 8 as operating system, the problem with windows 8 is that it has many bugs and i dont like the interface.... but this is the future... what do to? shall i downgrade to windows 7 which is more reliable or stick to windows 8 which it will be upgraded to windows 8.1 soon?

thank you for your advice,
charbel

It doesn't have many bugs, you just don't like the metro interface. I'd like too see evidence that Windows 7 is more reliable...anyway.

If you don't like windows 8, Window 7 Pro is the choice. Pretty easy decision I think.

Just checked up on Hyper-V.
This is a quote from Wikipedia:

Just something to be aware of.

I haven't played with it, but the Settings for Hyper-V in Windows 8.1 *does* have provision for two Comm Ports.

There isn't USB support, but apparently there are software and hardware solutions. Not sure I would be satisfied with this if I needed USB, so my suggestion of Hyper-V might be premature or unworkable...

Last edited:
I haven't played with it, but the Settings for Hyper-V in Windows 8.1 *does* have provision for two Comm Ports.

There isn't USB support, but apparently there are software and hardware solutions. Not sure I would be satisfied with this if I needed USB, so my suggestion of Hyper-V might be premature or unworkable...
According to this article, using enhances session mode will allow access to local USB devices. Granted, the example given is a flash drive, but may be worth looking into.

In the meantime, VMWare or VirtualBox does provide USB support.

According to this article, using enhances session mode will allow access to local USB devices. Granted, the example given is a flash drive, but may be worth looking into.

In the meantime, VMWare or VirtualBox does provide USB support.
I was pretty excited about the possibilities until I saw that the only guest OSes supporting enhanced sessions were Server 2012 R2 and Win8.1 Go figure.