What is a solid bearing?

Tofo

When I design a machine, my boss mentioned that used a solid bearing on the motor shaft and "direct mount" to a shaft to drive motion.

I googled solid bearing. From the image search, the results are flange bearings. If solid bearing equal to flange bearing, then how to do a direct mount???

Please help

ask your boss as a lot of different approaches are possible here.
and dont mind i like it when being asked dumb questions as at that moment i like the conversation and your thinking.

Reasoning ?

You didn't mention horsepower or application. Do you or your boss have experience in drive-train design, bearings, and couplings ?

"Solid Bearing" covers a lot of territory. It can range from a simple grease lubricated bushing made from bronze, babbitt, or other metals. There are many non-metallic bearing materials as well. Other designs include pressure lubricated oil journal bearings, which are still widely used in large horsepower electric motors and large rotating machinery - not to mention automotive engines.

The collar is incidental - it is there to take axial thrust loads as opposed to the radial loads restrained by the bushing.

I don't think "solid bearing" is a commonly used term. "Bushing" or "journal" bearing are more typical names.

The opposite is the rolling element bearing - ball or roller being most common. These are sometimes referred to as "anti-friction" bearings, a term that annoys me. (After all, a "pro-friction" bearing would be a brake!)

"Solid Bearing" covers a lot of territory. It can range from a simple grease lubricated bushing made from bronze, babbitt, or other metals. There are many non-metallic bearing materials as well. Other designs include pressure lubricated oil journal bearings, which are still widely used in large horsepower electric motors and large rotating machinery - not to mention automotive engines.

The collar is incidental - it is there to take axial thrust loads as opposed to the radial loads restrained by the bushing.

I don't think "solid bearing" is a commonly used term. "Bushing" or "journal" bearing are more typical names.

The opposite is the rolling element bearing - ball or roller being most common. These are sometimes referred to as "anti-friction" bearings, a term that annoys me. (After all, a "pro-friction" bearing would be a brake!)

Agreed, once a bearing goes from "anti-friction" to "pro-friction" it is generally time to put a new one in.