PLC Solution with remote controlling capacity

wicing

Hello.
We are building a new house and I thought it would be nice to be able to Control parts of the lights, alarm etc from a PLC. I know that a KNX-solution would probably be easier to fulfill my needs, but I Think it would be both cheaper with a PLC and I can learn more about PLC-programming also.
But the problem is; I want to be able to access the PLC from preferably my phone, when I am away from home. I would like to both be able to check I/O status (perhaps even in a graphical way)and also to be able to Control it (i e setting the alarm, Control outside-lights etc).
Which is the cheapest and easiest way to do this? I've been looking on Allen Bradley 1400 (which as I understand it has built-in webserver) but I Think there must be other solutions. Also, to program the AB 1400 for my needs, is it enough with the RSLogix 500 to even program the webserver or do I need something else for this?

Check out the logo v7 also, I think you can access that through an application for you phone avaliable at the android market.

I wouldn't have thought you need to control the PLC from your phone.

I think what you really need is a HMI that you can access from a web browser on your phone. You then have all your setpoint values and alarm values etc on a screen on the HMI.

Once the program is wrote you shouldn't have to keep going into the program to change values, these should all be accesible from outside of the program.

Cheers

MArk

Thanks.
About Logo 0ba7; I guess it would work. That would also be a quite cheap solution. But the thing is that I Think it would run out on I/O's. I Think, even with extension-modules, that you can't exceed 20I and 16O.

Then, about th HMI-solution: You mean that I could use a more "simple" PLC equipped with a HMI and then access the HMI instead of the PLC from the phone? Any ideas which PLC and HMI I should use? I would prefer a PLC that can be programmed from a quite cheap program (if not free ;) )

Edit: I would like to add; I would preferably use AllenBradley, Siemens or Schneider because it's the brands I can get from my main supplier.

Last edited:
The new micro800 family of rockwell comes with a free programing software. It's pretty new so you might find that it isn't fully "developed" yet. But I think the prices on micro800 family is pretty decent. About the HMI, some HMIs come with VNC feature so you can control it with that. Sometimes you can even install a VNC server on the HMI. Don't know if this is a good solution though.

I would take a look at Unitronics. It is a HMI and PLC in one and you can get add on input/output modules so you can have the system as large or as small as you need.

It comes with a free web browser, and the software is free.

For a small 350 which would be ideal for you i pay here in the UK £280.

Cheers

Mark

I would take a look at Unitronics. It is a HMI and PLC in one and you can get add on input/output modules so you can have the system as large or as small as you need.

It comes with a free web browser, and the software is free.

For a small 350 which would be ideal for you i pay here in the UK £280.

Cheers

Mark

This sounds interesting.
Anyone who knows if there is a Swedish supplier for Unitronics?

Unitronics could be a good choice. I've used the V130 and it's a decent package. Free software is certainly a bonus. That model isn't what I'd call "graphical" as far as the HMI is concerned. I haven't used it's web server functionality.

IDEC is another I'd suggest. I use them very often. The FC5A-D12S1E is built in ethernet and web server function. You can see I/O from the built in web page and you can produce your own custom web pages to manipulate the data as you see fit. Their ethernet ready HMI's also have built in web servers and you can see & control the HMI exactly as if you were standing in front of it. Software isn't free but is reasonable and free upgrades forever. Software is among the simpler to learn and operate compared to many I've used. Components are very reasonably priced. Not sure availability where you are.

Have you considered hobbyist-level solutions? Sounds like you're on a budget. An arduino with Ethernet shield can host a website and do what you want for under 100$ (plus relays to interface) and free software to boot. I'm not sure of the legal ramifications.

Also, x10 home automation platform is popular, and I believe affordable. I've never used it and nit sure if it can host a web page.

Last edited: