modify the speed of a powerflex 40 with a micrologix 1400

cac1985

Hello my name is cristian, I have little experience in programming. I want to make a variable speed motor with a powerflex 40 and mocrologix 1400, I read the manual
22b-um001_-in-e.pdf and a pdf with an example ModbusRTUControl_w_ML1500.pdf and that first I have to change the parameter P038 to 5, then write to the plc program a line of code where you add a block of MSG, but does not appear in the table options "modbus command" and "MD data address". Sorry if you do not understand, I'm from Argentina and my English is not very good. thanks

Hi,

There are several example applications and code on the Rockwell site and also on here to get you started. In principle, you will use the MSG instruction and Function Code 06 to WRITE the speed reference to the drive - see image 2 for scaling (i.e. a value of 500 = 50Hz)

Report back when you reach the next stage. You will need to set the channel baud rate etc (CH0 on the ML1400). I recommend you use the 1763-NC01 adapter to connect the RS485 cabling.

See the attached screen shots as a start.

Hope this helps start you off...

Regards,

Rob

MBUS_1.jpg MBUS_2.png

Rob, thank you very much for responding. Look at the images that you uploaded and I have different options. I attached a picture where you see the differences. Regarding the wiring, I have 3 items: AK-U0-RJ45-TR2P, AK-U0-RJ45-SC1 and AK-U0-RJ45-TR1 but did not know I needed 1763-NC01. I hope you can help me.
thanks
regards

Windows 2000 Pro-2013-11-12-13-52-17.jpg

Cristian,

You need to set CH0 as the Modbus MASTER in your system (the PF drive will be the SLAVE). See MBUS_3 attached.

The NC01 is for convenience. The 8-pin mini din port (CH0) has RS-485 available and the NC01 just makes that available in a convenient terminal plug (6-pin Phoenix type plug). See attached data sheet.

Hope this helps,

Rob

MBUS_3.png

Attachments

• 1763_NC01_cable_pin_out__Answer_ID_34450.doc
    26 KB · Views: 27
Rob, thanks for the help, I have to do the wiring yet, but at least now I can do the programming with your help.
Again, thank you very much.
regards

Personally, I would just use an analog output on the PLC and an Analog Input on the drive. You can then use a SCP instruction in the PLC to do the scaling for you. It makes troubleshooting a lot easier for the maintenance guy who has to work on it after you are finished. I like Digital communications for the Controllogix platform, but when it comes to Micrologix and SLCs, i prefer to stick with analog and digital IO.

Rob, I wanted to tell you that I could operate the communication, however I have a new problem as I have to do 6 powerflex communication.
I made changes in the parameters of the powerflex, by assigning each a different node number, then the micrologix put the option "16 - write multiple register" and each a different table value N11: 3, N11: 13, N11 : 23, N11: 33, etc. But it did not work. Any tips? Thank you

Cristian,

If i understand you correctly, you are now wanting to WRITE different values to multiple Powerflex drives, correct? You still need to use Function Code 06 but you will need to set up multiple message instructions (one for each drive) and use some form of timed logic or the DN and ER bits of the previous MSG block to initiate the next MSG (see attached images)

Hope this helps.

Happy New Year

Rob

MBUS_5.jpg MBUS_6.jpg