Modbus SA85 + Wonderware Intouch

rajy2r

So i recieved an old PC from a Job back in 1997, which had a Modicon Quantum PLC with Wonderware Intouch and an SA85 card. Wonderware MBPlus was used as the OPC.

Now in 2013, there is no luck with ISA slots, so cannot use the SA85 card.

So found a USB to MB+ converter (SQD TSXCUSBMBP), but turns out new Wonderware doesn't support Serial drivers anymore.

Anyone have any suggestions to get around this ? MB+ to Ethernet adapter (SQD 174CEV20040) would be one i guess but its stinking expensive.

Does anyone run into this before, so what have you used ? I personally don't have much experience with MB+.

i don't have much experience with Modbus plus but what i would verify first is what version of wonderware you are using. Depending on that version certain drivers are supported as you may have already noticed. Once you verified all that, you can use a thrid party OPC server such as Kepserver or Software toolbox both are relatively the same. They both have demo version on their websites that run for a 2hour period if my memory serves me right. So then within Kepserver or Software toolbox you would add in the corresponding drivers in this case a modbus plus driver, and setup the channel and configuration accordingly. I don't know if this will really help you, but i think its worth the research. Also you can contact Kepserver or Software toolbox their support is great

i don't have much experience with Modbus plus but what i would verify first is what version of wonderware you are using. Depending on that version certain drivers are supported as you may have already noticed. Once you verified all that, you can use a thrid party OPC server such as Kepserver or Software toolbox both are relatively the same. They both have demo version on their websites that run for a 2hour period if my memory serves me right. So then within Kepserver or Software toolbox you would add in the corresponding drivers in this case a modbus plus driver, and setup the channel and configuration accordingly. I don't know if this will really help you, but i think its worth the research. Also you can contact Kepserver or Software toolbox their support is great

I understand that, but its the hardware part that i am looking for as to what is the best route to go. Wonderware would be the latest version (10+) for Windows 7 support.

Using the MBX Driver Suite software you can emulate a SA85 card with the usb adaptor.
I don't know if the software comes with the adaptor but I have used this method with Intouch and it works fine.
Just don't get the cheaper version of the usb adaptor
XBTZGUMP
that is meant for the Magelis HMI as they timeout after 2 hours when used on a PC.

Just noted your windows 7 requirements and MBPLUS is not supported, You would have to use a 3rd party OPC server like Top server

The easiest way would be to put an Ethernet card into the PLC and run a new cable, I know this will cost but in the future the customer will have to consider doing it anyway new Schneider PLC’s don’t come with Modbus+. If you have inter PLC comms leave that on Modbus+. The other cheap way but definitely not as good, is to run a new Ethernet cable and then use an Ethernet to Modbus bridge on the PLC’s serial port.