Do you have access to a Field PG, 8MB MMC and winhex

AndrewM

Hi,

I am looking for someone that is willing to spend a few minutes to conduct a bit of an experiment,
if you have access to the following:-
1. A Simatic field PG or prommer
2. An 8MB MMC card
3. The ability to make a sector by sector image of an MMC (winhex, HDD raw copy tool)

Basically, I am trying to update the firmware in my s7 317 cpu to V2.6.11, but don't have access to the hardware required to create an update card. After playing around with MMC images I had a bit of an idea, my thoughts are if someone would be kind enough to create a firmware update card then create an image file of the card and email the file to me. I will then restore the image onto my card and try a firmware update, I am not entirely sure whether this would work at my end but it would be interesting to find out.

I suggest only a person who has a good understanding of creating update cards do this.

The instructions how to create the firmware card are at the top of the web page link below:-
http://support.automation.siemens.c...objaction=csview&extranet=standard&viewreg=WW

and the V2.6.11 files required are at the link below
http://support.automation.siemens.c..._V2610.exe?func=cslib.csFetch&nodeid=35820169

Thanks Andrew

I do have a prommer, but no 8MB MMC card.

If the CPU had a PN port you could update the firmware without an MMC card. Another reason to never ever use CPUs without ethernet.

Hi Jesper,

Thanks for the reply, I have a cp343-1 Ethernet module is it possible to do the firmware update through that?

Thanks Andrew

I maybe able to help you i have a prommer and a card but i think that the serial number of the MMC must be the same. Even though the card states 8MB there have been different versions over the years.

Anyhow my 8 MB card has serial number
6ES7953-8LP11-0AA0

I have succcessfully cloned cards with same serial number and stamped size but failed with different serial numbers but correct size.

I maybe able to help you i have a prommer and a card but i think that the serial number of the MMC must be the same. Even though the card states 8MB there have been different versions over the years.

Anyhow my 8 MB card has serial number
6ES7953-8LP11-0AA0

I have succcessfully cloned cards with same serial number and stamped size but failed with different serial numbers but correct size.

Hi Bratt

Thanks for the reply, the product number on my card is 6ES7 953-8LP20-0AA0
I think my card might be the newer version, I have already put an older image on the card and it worked OK, so if you would be kind enough to create a firmware update image, I would like to give it a try.

Thanks Andrew

Thanks for the reply, I have a cp343-1 Ethernet module is it possible to do the firmware update through that?
I think yes. You should be able to follow the steps in the FAQ from "2. Online" and onwards.
But it says that an MMC card must be used "as buffer". The FAQ does not say how big the MMC must be.

edit: Actually, if the FAQ is correct then Ethernet is not a prerequisite. It used to be that online formware update was only possible via Ethernet.

I think yes. You should be able to follow the steps in the FAQ from "2. Online" and onwards.
But it says that an MMC card must be used "as buffer". The FAQ does not say how big the MMC must be.

edit: Actually, if the FAQ is correct then Ethernet is not a prerequisite. It used to be that online formware update was only possible via Ethernet.

Thanks for the reply jesper, I had seen the "online update" but unfortunately the firmware has to be already at V2.5 for it to work, I was hoping that their maybe another solution.

Thanks Andrew