AB MPL servo motor brake issue?

mike J

I have a number of AB MPL servo motors driving material rolls through our machines. As of late, I am seeing a number of the brakes on these motors fail. Either they won't close, or conversely, they won't release. Has anyone else (If you use these motors) seen or heard about an unusually high failure rate on the brakes? Thanks.

Only problem that reared its head was that the brake release and brake set time were not set correctly in the axis properties so the MPL motor was driving through the brake when starting and the brake was being used to stop the motor - I now treat the brakes as holding brakes that should not be used on a spinning motor. In an emergency, of course, they are used.

What version of RSlogix are you using? what are you using to drive the MPL motors? Ultra 3000 or kinetix? Using SERCOS?