ML1400 emails - with Gmail?

Mowgli86

I've read a number of useful threads on here talking about setting up email alerts from an ML1400. However most of them seem to be using an email server on the local network, and therefore placing the IP address of the server in the 'Email Server' field in Chan 1 - SMTP.

My PLC is out in the field connected directly to an internet router, and there's no other equipment on it's local network. I have tried putting smtp.gmail.com into the Email Server Field, and putting the router gateway IP into Primary Name Server, as recommended elsewhere.

I still get error code dd - SMTP error. Has anyone successfully set up this plc to send emails via gmail (or any other free web based email server)?

Many thanks,

Mowgli

Hello,

TheWaterboy is correct.

GMail uses port 465 for SMTP and requires TLS/SSL.

Just to follow up on this, I switched to a different email provider with a fixed IP address for their mail server, and it works fine. Thanks!

what email provider did you switch to? if you don't mind my asking.

I have a ML1400 that I want to send out to farmers, and I need to send an alarm email from the farmers network. (no email server on the network)

this has been a headache for me, I've tried everything I know, I even tried changing the port as per page 433 in the manual.

• Email Server : Email Server IP Address or DNS name. For input of the DNS name, make sure that the Default Domain Name has been configured in Ethernet Channel Configuration, where the DNS Sub-system will query total DNS name to DNS server. For example, if “dnsname” is entered, and “default.com” is configured in the Default Domain Name of the Ethernet Channel Configuration, the DNS sub-system will query “dnsname.default.com” to the DNS server.
In the MicroLogix 1400 Series B controllers, the configuration for alternate SMTP Port number is supported. The default SMTP Port number in the MicroLogix 1400 is 25 in TCP. To specify the target IP address and port number in the Email Server configuration, you can enter them in the following format.

<HOSTNAME> <IPADDR>
<HOSTNAME>?port=<xxx> <IPADDR>?port=<xxx>

For example:
REMOTE_MOD: equivalent to REMOTE_MOD?port=25 192.168.1.100: equivalent to 192.168.1.100?port=25 REMOTE_MOD?port=28123
192.168.1.100?port=28123​

Sorry for reviving a old thread, but I'm at my wits end.

thanks for any help.

It's funny this thread should get resurrected. We switched to Greenwebhost which is a UK based provider who has a fixed IP address for their mailserver. This worked fine for about 6 months then out of the blue all of our systems (about a dozen) stopped working at the same time. Presumably some change with the mailserver, as the PLC code was not changed, but so far we've not been able to get it working again.

We're now using a Red Lion HMI based email alert system which does at least work, but it nowhere near as useful as the PLC based system.

I'm afraid this is not likely to be much help!

Hello,

A security action of many mail servers is to require a "mail check" before allowing a message to be sent. Maybe Greenwebhost enabled that feature. SWAG

There are very few mail servers that do not require TLS/SSL to send mail anymore. This is an effort to fight spam. Very few PLCs support TLS/SSL (which is a travesty) and so cannot send mail using public mail servers. You can sort of bypass this by using a computer running stunnel on the same network. If you are extra fancy, you can use 3rd party firmware in the router and have the router run stunnel.:

https://www.datenzone.de/blog/2012/01/installing-stunnel-on-openwrt/

EDIT:
PLCs that support ANSI C can use one of the many SSL/TLS libraries written for embedded devices, like PolarSSL

Last edited: