Problems with Controllogix to Controllogix via DH+

g20kid

Hi All,

We are in the process of upgrading one of our PLC-5 machines to a CLX. The setup prior was a Controllogix processor doing some communication with a PLC-5 via DH+. It was working perfectly, but not now. We swapped out the old PLC-5 with a new Controllogix rack. So now we are trying to do some communication between two Controllogix racks via DH+. Our current setup is: Chassis A has a 1756-DHRIO card in slot 3 and the processor in slot 4. The 1756-DHRIO is set to use Channel A as DH+ with a node address 8#10. Chassis B has the processor in slot 0 and the 1756-DHRIO module in slot 1. This one uses Channel B as the DH+ port and has a node address of 8#56. The baud rates for the two cards match at 115k.

The message statement we are trying to use to communicate is a CIP Typed Write with the same source and destination as before. The path we are using is 1, 3, 2, 8#56, 1, 0. To my understanding the order of those is: local backplane (1), DHRIO slot (3), output port on that DHRIO (2), node address of recipient (8#56), recipient's backplane (1), recipient's processor slot (0).

Both DHRIO cards are showing solid green lights for their respective ports. And yet we have no information moving from the one PLC to the other. We also tried a CIP Typed Read with no success. Any tips or ideas on something we might be missing?

Thanks for reading.

What error codes are you getting?
Have you mapped the PLC-5 addresses at the remote CLX?

We ended up figuring out the issue after spending a couple hours on the phone with tech support. The data we were sending was type INT. The receiving PLC had DINT. We didn't think sending from a smaller file type to a larger file type would be an issue, but apparently it was. Once we created a new tag in the receiving PLC to INT, it transferred ok.

We ended up figuring out the issue after spending a couple hours on the phone with tech support.....

The checklist is short....

Connections (as in wiring)
Node addresses
Path Specification
Baud Rate
TagNames
Mapping (If required)
Data-Types

Can't see how that took a couple hours....

The checklist is short....

Connections (as in wiring)
Node addresses
Path Specification
Baud Rate
TagNames
Mapping (If required)
Data-Types

Can't see how that took a couple hours....

Most of us can barely read or write, let alone troubleshoot a new PLC. I will know to email you directly next time.

Most of us can barely read or write, let alone troubleshoot a new PLC. I will know to email you directly next time.

No problem... You will find my charges very reasonable, and if you want me to visit your facility for troubleshooting, I only travel first class :D