AB indrect addressing

Terry Boblitt

I need to try to figure something out in the program of this machine. It has receipts.Instead of using the DTAM to pull it up they want me to install 5 prox's that will be associated with the correct receipts. This foam machine uses a lot of indirect addressing. So for now I will keep it simple.

Move command
source N[7:162]:[N7:61]
Dest N:56:3

Move command
source N:56:3
Dest N[7:162]:[N7:61]

If I need to post the file I can
Thanks Terry

Does it do both of those ? They're mirror images.

Move command
Source N[N7:162]:[N7:61]
Dest N56:3

Example where N7:162 = 40 and N7:61=5,
This would move the value in N40:5 into N56:3.

They are both used.One is used then the other one is below it. Both have conditions before the move function..Trying to learn something new. Never a dull moment.

Thanks

They are both used.One is used then the other one is below it. Both have conditions before the move function..Trying to learn something new. Never a dull moment.

Thanks

Terry, you didn't say whether you had understood Ken's breakdown of the instruction syntax.

I can put it more simply - anything in square brackets means "get the value of... and use it"...

So, a few examples....

N100:45 is a direct address, element 45 in Integer File 100

N100:[N22:10] is an indirect address to the element number, use the value stored in N22:10 as the element number in Integer file 100, so if N22:10 had the value 19, the effective address would be N100:19

N[N7:3]:17 is an indirect address to the file number, accesses element 17 in different Integer files. So if N7:3 had the value 33, the effective address would be N33:17

N[N7:3]:[N22:10] is an indirect address to both the file number and the element number. With the above values the effective address would be N33:19

I think everyone has just assumed your original posting had a typo where you missed the file type specifier... N[7:162] should have been N[N7:162], which completes the "indirection" by specifying an actual address to read the value from.

When, and if, you move on to the Logix5000 series of processors, ControlLogix, CompactLogix, etc., the square brackets denote access to an element in an Array tag (the nearest equivalent to a PLC5 or SLC data file). As a bonus, the brackets can contain math expressions which are evaluated to arrive at the effective data location....

eg.

Array[Pointer + 3]

Note : you can't use expressions in Logix5 or 500, only another unique address, as per the examples above.

daba;566276 Array[Pointer + 3 said:
Note : you can't use expressions in Logix5 or 500, only another unique address, as per the examples above.

Amazing the little tidbits you can pick up reading through posts...Been using CLX since its inception and never even tried using an expression in an Array. I always did an ADD/SUB right in front into an intermediate index tag, and probably would still do that for clarity sake, but always nice to know a new way to skin a cat :)

Yes that was a typo--sorry
All this info has helped me out-but how does this work in reverse. It's that way in the logic.

Move command
source N56:3
Dest N[N7:162]:[N7:61]

Thanks Ken & daba for replying
🍻

I am thinking you might need to check the program a bit deeper.
Normally with that style of Indirect addressing there is a part of the program that reads and writes to a file area.
Normally the MOV N56... to (N[N162...]) command you want to do is done by that area of the program so you should check that out.

This machine mixes 2 chemicals together--ISO & Poly to make foam in a mix head. They are using a AB DTAM to select the recipe. So what they want me to do is install 5 prox switches to auto select the recipe when it's in position. Since I don't have the DTAM software I'm trying to find the file that controls the recipe #.o_O
Thanks Terry