emergency stop wording

rpoet

Hi All,
I need to be able to quote chapter and verse regarding e-stops. Specifically, the part that says something like, "E-stops shall remove all sources of energy from the machine (unless removal creates a more hazardous condition) and brings the machine to a stop as quickly as possible."

I remember reading this, but I can't for the life of me remember which standard it was in. I've checked NFPA 79, and didn't see it. I'm needing to remove both electrical and pneumatic power and I'm getting push-back from the uninformed. I need a cudgel to batter them about the head :)

Thanks!

-rpoet

NFPA 79 9.2.5.4.

It doesn't say that it has to remove all sources of energy. It does say that the category has to be determined by the risk assessment of the machine. Do a risk assessment and make your case.

NFPA 79 9.2.5.4.

It doesn't say that it has to remove all sources of energy. It does say that the category has to be determined by the risk assessment of the machine. Do a risk assessment and make your case.

Thanks, TConnolly. This is actually for a friend who's in a tough spot. This is what he needs. Thanks!

-rpoet

Remember Pneumatic / Hydraulic and Kinetic stored energy.
Also
the fact that Servo/VFD's can stop motors quicker when powered so you might tackle the safety differently in that case