Beckhoff CX9000 Run-Time system already in use error

jackleblack

Hello,
I am trying to open the PLC project directly from the Beckhoff CX9000 (Screenshot 1) to do a backup of the project, because we don't have access anymore to the project files. However I am greeted with the "Run-Time system already in use" error when I try to open it from TwinCAT PLC Control (Screenshot 2). I have full connectivity inside TwinCAT System Manager in Run Mode with the PLC, so the communication is not an issue I think.
Here's the PLC in question if you need any additional references (Screenshot 3).
I tried looking around for that issue on other forums, but I have come to a dead end.
Does anyone know how can I fix this error?

Thanks in advance

Screenshot 1.jpg Screenshot 2.jpg Screenshot 3 test.jpg

Last edited:
if project files are missing you do not have a good possibility to get it good anyhow, you can upload the files to the PC, but that is just for backup when system fails.
ask the supplier for the project, this way you can change something if needed.

if project files are missing you do not have a good possibility to get it good anyhow, you can upload the files to the PC, but that is just for backup when system fails.
ask the supplier for the project, this way you can change something if needed.

I was hoping that Beckhoff was somewhat similar to Allen-Bradley, where you could upload the program from the PLC and easily edit it that way in RSLogix (at least that's how our SLC 500 works).
If I understand it correctly, even if I do manage to get the PLC program off Beckoff, I won't be able to do any edits to it?
Thanks for your reply shooter

I was hoping that Beckhoff was somewhat similar to Allen-Bradley, where you could upload the program from the PLC and easily edit it that way in RSLogix (at least that's how our SLC 500 works).
If I understand it correctly, even if I do manage to get the PLC program off Beckoff, I won't be able to do any edits to it?
There is something similar to it that is referred to as downloading the source code. But it is up to the programmer to explicitly download the source or configure the program to download implicitly.

If by chance that was done, then you can upload by going to File->Open->PLC

The "RunTime in Use" generally means another computer is already online with TwinCAT.