VPN Network Connection Help!

robw53

I have had a PC setup for me with two NIC’s installed, the native one is connecting through our corporate network to the internet and the second one is plugged into our PLC network, the pc has team viewer installed on it and I can remote connect to it from within our organisation and also from home, the problem is I cannot ping any of the PLCs etc, and cannot see any in RSLinx, the work around is that if I unplug our corporate network from the native NIC then I can ping to everything on the PLC side and I can also see them in Linx with the ETH driver, I can then plug in the corporate patch cable and after that I can no longer ping again to the PLC’s, but the PLC which I added using the ETH driver remains in Linx and I can open up studio 5k and get online with it without a problem, but I couldn’t search for an extra device with its IP address.

Can anybody explain where im going wrong?

Rob

Got this from the internet, I believe it explains the issue if not the exact solution to solving it. We have the same set up for our SCADA PC and this has a routing table with two IP address in the 'interface' column (excluding 127.0.01)

• Which interface is used to send out packets is determined by the local routing table. You can look at the computer's routing table by opening up a command prompt and typing ROUTE PRINT [hit enter].
  • The computer uses this table to determine which interface to use based on the packet's destination address.

Last edited:
Is this the same network you have discussed here in the past? If so why this approach? I thought you had a internet connection to a firewall you manage?

that was the way we had planned and after months of waiting we were about to order the equipment when corporate IS got involved and wanted it on a server running VM Ware for each of the OEM's but as a temp this is what we are doing, our IS guy has been off and is back in this week but i just wanted to make some progress before he got back.

I've seen this happen when both NICs are set to the same subnet.
for example:
NIC A

NIC B

You try to connect to a device at 192.168.1.155 and both NICs are on the correct subnet. Disconnect one, the other one works and vice versa.

NIC A

NIC B

This arrangement has no such problem.

Sorry for the late response, they were on different subsets, our IT guy just routed all traffic on our PLC subnet through the second NIC.