Output fusing

lefeverj

I have recently had a service call where an end user is using 120VAC across there relay output card. The card is less then three months old and one of the channels has burnt over. The stepper motor that is being controlled by that output pulls .8 amps. The relay card is rated for 2amps. Just looking for suggestions on keeping this scenario from happening on all 10 channels. My initial thought would be to set up a 1.5 amp fuse on each line...is this a crazy cost/solution? In this scenario factory downtime is $$$ so I am not sure if cost would be an issue...just looking for what is standard practice in the industry.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'd use an interposing relay instead of a fuse. Like Gbreaker said, make sure the stepper is ok then une a bulkier 15 amps relay wich are very cheap and easy to install and you should be good. Worse come to worse, you'll replace the relay every now and then which is quite simple and inexpensive.

As for the output burning out. Rating is one thing, behaviour is another. Stepper motors ARE an inductive load so even though you have 0.8 current rating, it doest'n mean you don't have a higher initial current when energizing it. Fuzing might not do anything!

More facts please. 120 VAC controller stepper motor. How? Is this an AC Syncronous Stepper motor (Superior Electric Slo-Syn), or is it powering a DC Stepper Motor driver? If it's a controller, relay should be controlling a DC enable input, not the main supply.
First suggestion is to change to solid state, such as a Triac output card.
Assume this failure is rare. A 2A relay card is low cost. Fusing each relay probably isn't worth the trouble. If there was an overload on a channel, the relay is probably shot by the time the fuse blows. Especially a bad motor - current rose slowly over time until main fuse blew or relay failed.