RSLogix 500 transfer to ML1400

rQx

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi!

I'm currently learning the AB programming softwares (RSLogix 500 and FTView Studio)

However, tomorrow I'm going to make a minor adjustment on a customers machine. I have got the .rss file and modified it to my needs (some memory and 5 networks were added).

The machine I'm going to transfer the program to has a ML1400 and a PV+ 6 700. The HMI is used to adjust many settings and to keep track of running times of diffrent motors. This is stored in memories in the PLC. I know how I transfer a program to the ML1400. But what if I want to keep all my memory values. How do I do it?

/Tim

Especially on a system that I'm not familiar with and there is a possibility that someone else may have made a change to a program, or in your case settings have been changed, I like to make notes of the changes I need to make, even having the rungs ready to copy and paste, but get to the site, upload the program to make sure I have the latest values, paste the new rungs in and expand the memory as you needed, then redownload. That's the safest way I think

Another option is, with the new program open, open a second instance of RSLogix 500 and upload (and save to a different name) the current program. With the two windows side-by-side (make sure to double check which is your new program and which is the current, just uploaded one) copy-paste each data file from the uploaded program to the new revised program. That is, for each data file (except for 'S') right click on the data file name in the uploaded program and choose 'copy', then right click one the same data file in the modified program and choose 'paste'. It will warn about it already existing.

When done your modified file will have the current data contents and can be downloaded. If things go weird you still have the uploaded file.

Or do the changes online using copy and paste.
Yes except you can't resize the memory tables online
Another option is, with the new program open, open a second instance of RSLogix 500 and upload (and save to a different name) the current program. With the two windows side-by-side (make sure to double check which is your new program and which is the current, just uploaded one) copy-paste each data file from the uploaded program to the new revised program. That is, for each data file (except for 'S') right click on the data file name in the uploaded program and choose 'copy', then right click one the same data file in the modified program and choose 'paste'. It will warn about it already existing.

When done your modified file will have the current data contents and can be downloaded. If things go weird you still have the uploaded file.
Neat trick. I didn't know that doing that would paste all the values of that data file

Bernie, I had no idea that worked. Thank you !

There's also an "RSLogix 5000 Tag Upload/Download Utility" that works with SLC/MicroLogix and uses a licensed copy of RSLinx OPC and can be used to upload memory register values to a disk file, then download them again to the controller.

I have a big 3-dimension array of part geometry points that I'm using that utility to manage and it's been a very handy quick-and-dirty recipe manager.

Oh my gosh, I knew something about RSLogix 500 that Ken did not? Made my Thanksgiving. I had made a simple flash animation for some customers showing them how to do this when I was sending a revised version of the logic in their machine but wishing to preserve their most current values. I can't remember where I learned it though.

That is what I love about this industry!! You can never really know it all. There is always a chance to learn something new.

Just an FYI this works with Logix 5000 as well. You can copy from one UDT in a program to another UDT of the same type in another program. However it does not work if you make a change in the middle of the UDT, changes/New Tags have to go at the bottom.

So lets say I have a UDT like this:

TopDint
BottomDint

And I want to add a new Dint to this UDT.

If I do this:
TopDint
MiddleDint
BottomDint

I cannot copy the values from the origional to the new version. However if I create the UDT like this
TopDint
BottomDint
MiddleDint

I can copy the value from the origional and it will just ignore the new items at the bottom of the list.

Maybe this is common Knowledge, maybe not but just thought I would share.

Regards
Ian

bernie_carlton said:
...copy-paste each data file from the uploaded program to the new revised program. That is, for each data file (except for 'S') right click on the data file name in the uploaded program and choose 'copy', then right click one the same data file in the modified program and choose 'paste'...

Yeah, it's real handy alright Bernie.

It might be best to do them 1-by-1 for a relatively small project, but just to speed this process up a bit, you can also do them all at once if you have a large list of Data Files in your project.

If you want to Copy/Paste a contiguous block of Data Files, click on the first one, then hold down SHIFT, and click on the last one you want. It now has them all selected. Don't use right-click to Copy as the Data File you right-click on will take the focus, and the others will no longer be selected. Instead use CTRL+C while they're all selected.

In the other project, you can simply right-click on the first Data File and Copy, or, while the first Data file is selected, use CTRL+V. Make sure you have the correct Data File selected as the first or you'll offset all your Data File names etc.

You'll get a 'Confirm File Replace' for each Data File you multi-selected in the other project. Just keep hitting Enter.

G.

Thanks alot for the help ! Downloaded the program today with no problem! I did them one by one , tried to do them all at once nut something failed. I had 10 data files so instead of searching for the problem I took the easy way.