Could someone can explain clear ..please

Platootod

What is the difference between " Type 1 and Type 2 Contactor(Magnetic Relay)?
From my little brain I know little :
Where can we find some more detail about this document?
Thank you very much. :)

Dear hesham
I found from some Telemacanic Contactor catalogue ( several product cattalogue)
the price Type 2 contactor very high ,more than normal one
This means for heavy duty purpose? or continuous runing machine?
Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Differance

Platootod
Contactor and overload testing result specify the type of coordination 1 or 2 .
The purpose of the test is to put the equipment in extreme condition and watch the result.

Coordination Type 1
Damage to the contactor and overload are permissable provided that no risk for the operator and other components are not damaged

Coordination type 2
Slight welding of the contactor and the overload is permissiable provided that they can be easily seperated after this test the control and protection equipment muct be able to operate.

This test are made by the manufacture to determine who each contactor behave with each overload .this means a contactor could be type 2 coordination with one overload and type 1 with another one.

in the test 3 fault currents are tested
1-Current Ic(overload I<10 In)
2-Current r(Low level short circuit 10<In<50 In)
3-current Iq(high level short circuit I>50 In)

In real word if you have for example a motor this motor requiers a motor starter(Contactor +overload) if you have a short circuit the following will happen

coordination type 1 : May be contactor , Overload or both are damaged and you should change the damaged one because it will not work again.But the motor must not be affected.

Coordination type 2 :
Neither the contactor nor the overload will be damaged ,a sligh welding in the contacts of them are allowed and after the trip they should work again,The motor must not be affected>

The worst case is the no coordination between the contactor and the overload this may cause a damage for you control equipment and this is not authorized by ant standared

I hope that will be sufficient.
THANKs

Normally we use IEC standard here

Shalom and Todaraba for ArikBy..
According to 220 VAC here in Thailand so ..Generally we are using IEC standard.
I will find the model of this contactor to you ...
(Monday 2 , I hope )
dear Hesham,
Thank you very much for your's kindly answer...

Last edited:
hesham

Could you please refer me to the source of this information?
According to my knowledge there is no connection between the contactor
to the overload or do you mean circuit breaker?
I pass some manufacturers data sheet I did not see any reference to type one or type two.
When any contactor weld/arced onece it might work again.You need to replace the contactor or the contact inside.the contact surface damaged it become too risky to keep useing this contactor.
IEC define 2 working routine for contactors AC1 and AC3,AC1 for resistance load and AC3 for inductive load(motors) and that what I think Platootod mean.

IEC 947-4-1

Airkby
Could you please refer me to the source of this information?
this according to IEC 947-4-1
I mean by overload is the thermal_magntic overload and some times it called motor circuir breakers.
pass some manufacturers data sheet I did not see any reference to type one or type two.
Not all the manufactures have these test the most famous manufacture I know do this tests Is Schneider electric in it's Telemecanique products range of contactors and overloads .
You can chech their website as well Square D website i will try to provide a link for this information later on.
THX

Varification to ArikBy

Arik
The link provided by cpmiller is good one for the vaification you want.And here is a
.find below a capture from the catalog.

hesham

Thanks for your answer.
Just for terminology Overload=Thermal protection only.
Thermal magntic is combiation of thermal overload and magnetic circuit
breaker.
Type 2 is not talking about contactors is talking about MOTOR STARTERS
I assume that the source of the confusion.

cpmiller
Thanks for the link you light the issue.

Platootod
If you look for this contactors regarding to the redundancy of your soft start you dont need Type 2 its not for that purpose.
Look for LC1-F or LC1-D you can use GV7 as circuit breacker and thermal protection.

All the best

Sorry but it seems that i still have problems in including images in my post.Could any one explain how can i do it.?
8539CT9201.pdf

Is it must be a link or i can get it from my PC.

hesham

1.save your picture as jpg or jpeg
2.on the left side of the forum board(where you write) click on Enhanced Mode
3.at the bottom of the board go to Browse and pick the file you want to send.
Submit Replly

Good Luck

Overloads

Arik
Please note that the coordination type 2 rules is also applicable on the thermal over loads not only he thermal magnetic ,it's also applicable to soft starters with bypass contactors and fuses.

You are wright type 2 is talking about motor starter not contactores .you didn't get my motor starter example in the earlly post :D

If you look for this contactors regarding to the redundancy of your soft start you dont need Type 2 its not for that purpose.
Look for LC1-F or LC1-D you can use GV7 as circuit breacker and thermal protection.
Would you please let us know what is platoodod application :site: