Help for connecting laptop to slc 5/05

gmultani52

Hello I am new in this topic I have laptop with 98SE, RSlogix ver 5.00, rSlinks lite 2.42, want to communicate with slc 5/05 L551. with communicating hub. Need step by step Procedure for cofg.

Thanks

What do you mean by communicating hub?

Please state the exact devices and protocol being used to communicate with the 5/05.

If I am not mistaken the 5/05 has 2 ports, Channel 0 by default is RS232/DF1 and Channel 1 is Ethernet.

I am by far not an expert on this model but I have bumped it up so the AB guys will see and offer more BUT please state more details on the connection...ie what is communicating hub..you mean Ethernet hub?

Hi

I guess you mean your PLC Ethernet is connected through hub.
question: do you have the program of the PLC on your PC?
If not you need the IP of the PLC to connect by Ethernet.
If the answer is not, you can connect by DF1 and get the IP frome the PLC.
Give me answer I will try to lead you to the next step

Arik is absolutely correct - you need to know the IP addresses before you try to connect via ethernet. If you know the address, open Linx, choose "\Communications\Configure Drivers", click your Ethernet driver (add one if you don't already have one), click "Configure", and type in each of the IP addresses that Linx should look for.

After that, close your Configure windows and go to RSWho to see if you did it correctly.

Good luck,

Marc

you can connect by DF1 and get the IP frome the PLC.
Give me answer I will try to lead you to the next step

Hi by conecting DF1 will i get stateway IP or some steps i have to complet. thanks.

If you go on-line with DF1, you can upload the logic, and then look at your channel configuration to get the IP address.

Marc

To get started

Step #1 Find out IP address of SLC

Step #2 Make sure it is on same subnet as laptop - if not, change one or the other so they are. (you most likely do not want to change the SLC because it sounds like it might already be communicating with something else.

Step #3 Use RSLinx driver "ethernet devices"

Step #4 Configure driver - type in IP address of SLC

Step #5 Look in "who active" in RSLinx to verify correct config of driver

Report back with any problems and I'm sure we can help.

getting ready to get started

Step #0 (or -1):
Configure laptop for ethernet comms - does it need a fixed IP or is there a DHCP server on the net?

Great, big help from great brothers. I do not have RS232 cable. I will arrange that and find out IP adress and then only I can go ahead. Thanks

Hi
If steps explained to find out IP adress by conecting RS232/DF1 as explained by 93/t1, will be great.
Thanks