FT View Studio / PV1500 Alarms

Andrew Hardy

OK I have a PLC, configured with 10 words of alarm bits B9:10/0 - B9:19/15. They already have a description, which is pretty much what I want to appear on the alarm display.

How can I import them into my alarm list without having to add them one at a time and copy / paste the description from the tag database to the alarm database?

I have played with exporting alarms to xml but every time I open it with a spreadsheet (which is what my a;arm list is already in) I end up with a corrupted xml file because the xml file is full of "s which my spreadsheet treats as a text delimiter.

If there are any Rockwell developers lurking on here I'd really like to know why you made this whole thing so ludicrously complicated.

Hi,

Normally I highlight the first few Alarms from ME to Excel to maintain the correct format, then manipulate them there and paste them back in as a single block (not line by line). If you already have the alarm text from your PLC database, it should only take a few minutes to populate your entire alarm list in ME.

Regards,

Rob

OK I have a PLC, configured with 10 words of alarm bits B9:10/0 - B9:19/15. They already have a description, which is pretty much what I want to appear on the alarm display.

How can I import them into my alarm list without having to add them one at a time and copy / paste the description from the tag database to the alarm database?

I have played with exporting alarms to xml but every time I open it with a spreadsheet (which is what my a;arm list is already in) I end up with a corrupted xml file because the xml file is full of "s which my spreadsheet treats as a text delimiter.

If there are any Rockwell developers lurking on here I'd really like to know why you made this whole thing so ludicrously complicated.

You did not state what plc you have, but we surmise Micrologix, due to ADDRESS based program.

Here is how we do alarms so that the text seen in the Panelview matches the PLC exactly.

1. Export the PLC comments to a csv or xls
2. When you open the file with Excel, you will see your comments separated line, by line in separate cells
3. Create a new cell in a spare column in a row that has the 5 separate cells that have the textual alarm description.
What you type in this single new cell will concantenate the 5 cells.
+d15&" "&e15&" "&f15&" "&g15&" "&h15
You will see your alarm comment in one string the "(space)" adds a space between the lines.
4. You now copy this formula down the column, concantenating the balance of all your alarms
5. Select the entire singular column of concatenated data, the paste special, paste values(text) to a new empty column.
6. This singular column of data can now be copied and pasted right into the Factory Talk View Studio Alarm Text Column.

Cheers