connection diagram of contactor with PLC

rk155

hello All,

I wish to connect a Block Contactor with my Siemens PLC. Please someone guide me how could I connect it to my PLC? The wiring diagram of the PLC is not really helpful to achieve my task.

Please help me.
Thank you and Best regards.

I find this type of question a little scary, to tell the truth. This is a very fundamental problem in electrical engineering, and if you can't figure this out you may be in for a lot of very long days.

As Shooter says, you can't get a good answer without more info from you. For example, the model of I/O card matters - solid state or relay, sinking or sourcing if solid state, individual commons for each point or a single common for the whole card, etc. However, the fundamental concept is the same for switching any load. Follow the current from the source line or + to the input or common side of the switch, to the output side of the switch, to the line or + side of the load, to the neutral or - side of the load, back to the source neutral or -. In your case the switch is the PLC output and the load is the coil of the contactor.

I find this type of question a little scary, to tell the truth. This is a very fundamental problem in electrical engineering, and if you can't figure this out you may be in for a lot of very long days.

As Shooter says, you can't get a good answer without more info from you. For example, the model of I/O card matters - solid state or relay, sinking or sourcing if solid state, individual commons for each point or a single common for the whole card, etc. However, the fundamental concept is the same for switching any load. Follow the current from the source line or + to the input or common side of the switch, to the output side of the switch, to the line or + side of the load, to the neutral or - side of the load, back to the source neutral or -. In your case the switch is the PLC output and the load is the coil of the contactor.

I second that! I see alot of threads here about how to make e-stop circuits, how to connect this and that. Really basic electrial work.

I don't find it scary, it's worse than that.

At the risk of being tought of as being rude by those people, I think that people who have to ask this kind of questions should be prohibited to even touch a PLC or any other electrical/electronic equipment other than to operate it. I've seen too many almost-accidents in my life to even start thinking about changing my opinion.

Regards,

At the risk of being tought of as being rude by those people,

In this line of work, we cannot afford to be restricted by the imaginary rules of political correctness.
If people are not qualified for the job, we need to respond. No matter what their feelings might be.

In this line of work, we cannot afford to be restricted by the imaginary rules of political correctness.
If people are not qualified for the job, we need to respond. No matter what their feelings might be.

It isn't about political correctness, it is about safety.

And no, someone that knows so little, and cannot do any basic research, or has no local resources, should not be playing with electricity.

It isn't about political correctness, it is about safety.

And no, someone that knows so little, and cannot do any basic research, or has no local resources, should not be playing with electricity.

This is the biggest problem with electricity. Every weekend you have people working in their homes connecting things, adding extra sockets and switches etc. Most of them with basically 0 electrical/eletronic experience. Its a lot rarer you will see people changing their plumbing themselves, and why is that? Well I'm not sure but it could have something to do with the fact that if you make a mistake while plumbing you could end up Knee deep in Human Excrement!

On the other hand Electricity is "Clean" and most people look at it like "Its only a few wires, how hard can it be". And generally they are right, changing a socket from a single to a double will in MOST cases not make a difference (note I´m stressing the most because its not true in all cases).

However when it comes to dealing with machines that have the ability to seriously injure or kill people then no one should be installing the Safety or Electrical circuit in general if they dont know exactly what they are doing! Best case scenario if they make a mistake is someone has a near miss and the mistake gets corrected. Worst case 1 or more people die as a result!

People need to start understanding why Safety Circuits are expensive and in Developed Countries are manditory! Its not just for things to look good, its to save lives!