????????? Why?

Codsack

C
Do most of the people who frequent this site not know how to read?
I generally try to work out my own problems by reading the manual
and other really sophisticated methods. Sometimes I even use the trial
and error method. These are the things that makes this stuff fun.
Maybe it's just my competitive nature that gets me excited when I can solve a problem before my working opponent. Ther are two of us who support about 150 PLC/TMR's and about 25 or so HMI's.
So I say dig your top knot from your anus and use it and have a great time doing it.

Just another opinion.

Codsack
Register at thyis forum and be part of this community.
Maybe you feel above us.
Generaly I agree with you, but sometime things are not going in the way we want.even experienced people sometime dont see the answer behind their nose.
The automation world is wide this forum help us to share our knowledge.
The first rull in this business is RMF Read Manu First.
If you feel frustrated you didnt read the manu well.
I just start to work with AD and the first thing I doing is to read the 500 pages of the DL05 book.That will avoide me to ask foolish question.
I might ask questions which look silly even I do this job in the last 25 years.

Why talk to a preacher when you can read the Bible?

Have you read the manual?
Who writes them things?
They're impossible to understand!

I learn alot more from these guys than you could ever get from a book.

Really I don't mind reading a post which contains a question that could be looked up in the manual.

Now if you post a question without going Here first, well then I guess you've got something to gripe about.

On Posting

Codsack:

Sometimes the answer we give IS RTFM ("Read the Manual"). A search for that acronym shows that it's been used 30 times so far in replies to posts.

Sometimes the manual are poorly written, such that, while the information IS there, it takes a while before you have the expertise needed to understand the manual.

Giving people the benefit of our expertise is one on the purposes for this forum. (Another is to discuss beer šŸŗ beerchug ))

Everyone is free to reply however they like. They can give HNC students their homework on a silver platter, or they can call them lazy. If anything gets too objectionable, High Lord Phil can, will, and does step in and delete posts and/or bans users.

If you don't like a question, feel free to not post a reply. Or post a gentle (or not so) reminder that the answer can be found in the manual (I don't know of any good way to search for the number of links we've posted to the AB web site for manuals)

Personally, I'm with you. I think I've started about 3 topics here in the 3 years I've been here, though my post count is well over 1000. I prefer to figure it out myself, rather than have an answer handed me. But that's me (and you). I fully acknowledge that my (our) way isn't the only way that a person's mind can work. They don't see this stuff as fun, but just as something to have to get through to get to the fun stuff. They want/need silver platters. They're free to ask. We're free to not answer. Isn't the internet wonderful!

I don't start many topics either, yet I've somehow managed to accumulate a few posts myself... ;)

As long as their 'CAPS LOCK' key is in the proper state, I don't mind when people ask questions that are readily found in the manual. If it's something I've never heard of or used, I'll sometimes take on the challenge of finding the manual, and reading enough of it to answer their question (or at least take a stab at answering it).

Occasionally, I'll even find something beneficial to ME! Perhaps an item I didn't know existed, or a new way of doing something, etc., etc... :cool:

Now, if that person hadn't asked that 'stupid' question, I would have never looked for, nevermind READ that manual... :nodi:

beerchug

-Eric

I started 3-4 topics since I joined this forum and most of my 500 posts was answers to other people questions.(I hope they was useful)
Sometime to give the full answer I open the manu and read,It help me too.
I learn a lot from reading another people problems and solutions.
Sometime I think some question is too stupid and I do not bother to answer.
In most cases I know how difficult it was for me to find the correct answer then I happy to assist.
For me it not come so esay with my broken English.Iam looking that as double challenge.Good technical answer and good English.
I hope I do it well.

The reason regularā€™s donā€™t start many topics is because they figure their problems out even if it is through hours of slog and trial and error.
The regulars are professionals that take adversity and confusion in their stride.

There was a time, a few years back when people used to ask me about how to do a certain thing. Claiming that no one had ever showed them how to do it.
I remember thinking. ā€˜who showed me?' - no one, I struggled until I understood.

There is a difference between question askers and answerers.
peer to peer questions ommited from that statement

For all of you that are completely new to PLC's - so once were we all.

I sat with a black box (well beige in the case of mitsibushi), a cable and software scratching my head. I got an output light to come on to my beckoning - the world was my oyster from then on.

I have been challenged several times by others as to why I don't post problem questions for discussion.

Well, I guess Codsack has provided as good an answer as I could have.

I certainly have started a few threads... but they were mostly "wake-ups" or just plain "juvenile rants".

Speaking of being juvenile, where I work, I always call the president, vice-presidents and their lower-lackeys by their "kid-names", Bobby, Billy, Tommy, etc., just to keep reminding them that we are all still just a bunch of kids trying to work our way through this thing called the "Short-Bus of Life".

(Short-Bus implies that we all don't really know what we are doing in the grand-scheme of things... look at what we are doing to the environment. We are killing Mama-Earth!)

And yes, I do the same with those that INSIST that I call them Robert or William or Thomas or... irritating, isn't it? I guess I'm just another A-hole on the "short-bus"!

The idea is... We're all just a bunch of kids on the bus-of-life.
RELAX! UN-PUCKER - just a bit! It'll do you a world of good!

Personally, the best and most stimulating information I've received on this site came from our old "Tangents".

I guess the reason that is so is because I'm an old-hand at this process-design and PLC-programming stuff.

My biggest kick is running up against a system that supposedly "Ain't Broke". My typical reaction is that I don't believe it to be so. I study it. Usually, I find that it really is broke, at least from one perspective or another. At that point, I Break It! And then rework it. Am I good at what I do? Yes. Yes, I think I am. And as Pierre says, the proof is in the pudding. My approach to "SYSTEM" has made me... dare I say it... untouchable. That is, as much as there are some in power that think I do nothing but sit in my office and "think", and those particular powers want me gone, the bottom line is that profits are increasing on a weekly basis.

Those particular powers want me gone because I call them for the "duncils" that they are.

So, the word, from the real power, is... "Let him be and leave him alone... no matter how weird he is, always talking to himself and all, he's making money, and he's making more all the time!"

The name of the game is to think "SYSTEM" (as in "profits").

I have yet to run up against a problem that I couldn't solve by considering the Physical Laws of the Universe (as we know them) and then, when necessary, reading the manual. I often find myself resorting to reading books describing one physical phenomenon or another, as well as how a particular PLC handles this or that method.

If I had posted my question, no matter what the answer, I would eventually resort to reading-up; either because the answer was intriguing or because the answer suggested something I didn't know about. In any case, I would resrt to my "library".

The name of the game for process controls is to be Serious about the field, DEADLY Serious! After all, what we do as programmers can literally KILL! Be serious! Pursue all of the knowledge you can get your hands onto so as to produce product in a profitable manner without putting anyone in jeopardy!

Yeah... go ahead, throw anything on that blank paper... let's see if it doesn't kill someone. If it hasn't so far, then Hey, it's great! Go with it!

Let us know where that intersection is so we can avoid it like the plague!

After re-reading this pile of ****... Holy $hit... what a bunch of egotistical ranting... you would do well to ignore this.

Nevermind.

(152) I Love You too, Eric.

Why not????????

I think the saying goes:
"Nobody on their death bed wished they had spent more time at the office."

I'm a firm believer in not re-inventing the wheel.
I've worked with lots of guys that would prefer to take something completely apart, rather than ask somebody else if they had seen the problem before, and ask for a quick solution. These people use up the resource that can never be replaced: time.

I'd rather kindly puke up the same old simple answer and spoon feed a fellow work than have them spend 1/2 a day trying to figure out a problem all on their own.

Granted, thankyou to those of you who will slog through an exotic problem, and come up the answer. That is part of the job. I don't belittle anyone that can't figure out a problem, only those who make zero effort.

Always keep your words soft and sweet -- just in case you have to eat them.

FYI:
You know, the Department of Agriculture recently banned those round haybails. They want the be sure the horses get a square meal.

Re: On Posting

Allen Nelson said:
Codsack:

(I don't know of any good way to search for the number of links we've posted to the AB web site for manuals)

Exactly how many manuals are there at the AB website??
It is too easy to say read the manual, sometimes you just need help finding the manual.

Do most of the people who frequent this site not know how to read?
Well, if you would have read some of the threads you surely wouldn't have had the need to put this question here.
How do you think we filter out the lazy students from the bonafide ones? By reading what they have posted! Don't also forget that for a lot of us English is not our native language. I for one find your remark not in place here. Join up and show us proof why you're better than us or shut up!

Back
Top Bottom