Temperature controller to PLC

Narlin

Lifetime Supporting Member
[FONT=&quot]Request is to use a “temperature controller” and in pre-packaged by a vendor and not programmed as a PID in a PLC. BUT.. want to communicate with the temperature controller from a PLC to get setpoints in and Process Variable out. Hardly any other requirement. Am using a Micrologix 1400 PLC. Any one know of a temperature controller which can do this? Sounds too simple doesn’t it.[/FONT]

narlin

The Micrologix 1400 is capable of RS485 communications using the Modbus protocol. Many controllers I have used will communicate using this method. The PLC can then read conditions and change setpoints in the controller. One example is this from Automation Direct

Last edited:
Bernie,
As it happens, i have one of those solos sitting in box and marked "good" as if they came any other way. I also have ML1100 on the bench and hooked up. I communicate with the 1100 over ethernet/IP all the time (currently wireless on the computer end). Once, i had a ML1100 in here that was configured for RS485 and i couldn't figure out how to talk to it at all. Had to send the thing back and the vendor switched it back to RS232.
How do i get one to speak RS485 so i can connect it to the SOLO?
By the way, i am willing to read if it is less than an encyclopedia amount.
narlin

The User's manual has the physical setup. The Reference manual has the stuff about the port setup and the Message instructions. If you've never used it it will be maybe an hour's reading then a little experimentation. The User's manual discusses using the 1763-NC01 Series A adapter. It's basically a brreakout. I strongly suggest using it. It makes things a lot simpler.