Not geting rung comment on ladder logic

gmultani52

Hi
I am not geting rung comments on my lap top when I upload load program to laptop from slc 150. I do get rung # and element addresses, Need help. I am new with laptop to slc 150. I have win 98SE.

Thanks

Hi,
So there is no wy to get it down.
#2 what for single scane is used for. is it helping in troubleshoot.
Or is there any other way to troubleshoot when some one not knowing operation of machine and ladderlogic is without comments.

thanks

Single scan can be a useful tool to help debug a program.

Your situation sounds like the machine has been in operation for some time and you're trying to figure out why it's not working properly. Is this correct?

Regardless of whether you're trying to troubleshoot a new startup or a machine that has suddenly developed problems, you need to know how the machine is supposed to work. If you don't know how it's supposed to work, how do you know it's not working properly?

gmultani52,

What I do in your situation is upoad the program out of the SLC150, then go through the program line by line with the machines electrical schematic adding the description of every input & output.

Then you can follow through, adding comments to timers & bits that fit what triggers them.

Having these "homemade" comments helps a lot of times in troubleshooting or updating a program.

Last edited:
Hi, steve
My consern to a m/c which suddenly develop problem. so upload ladder diagram and go to the output which is cause of problem and then go back rung by rung to find out which input not true. (I gause should be Run mode)

Hi, Cnrservices
your suggestion sound good but should have i/o diagram.Some time it is not there with client.

Thanks

Rung comments disappeared... oh I hate when that happens.

Try to find the original file somewhere on site. Maybe someone archived it in a Maintenance Backup folder, or maybe one of the older maintenance guys knows where the PLC code was rat holed. Anyway, find the old file.

This is what works for me to restore comments on the PLC 5:
After you have uploaded the program, re-install the comments by:
Under Tools> Database> ASCII Import. Import the .eas files from the backup copy.(.esa? - sorry I'm at home and I don't have my AB resources handy)

If these files do not exist, open the backup file you found and do an ASCII Export save of the files, and re-import them into your current project. Hopefully no problems will be created by this import. USE THIS PROCEDURE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Don't cry to me if this flops.

I'm probably making a mistake, but I'm going to assume the SLC IDE (Interactive Development Environment)is similar to the PLC 5 environment.
I wrote a little song about making a backup of your comments, symbol names, and instructions. It goes like this:

ALWAYS VERIFY YOUR PROJECT PRIOR TO SAVE, AND ALWAYS EXPORT YOUR ASCII DATABASE SO YOU HAVE A BACKUP OF IT AND CAN RESTORE IT, WHEN YOU SAVE YOUR PROJECT FILE. CHA CHA CHA....

I don't know if this helps with the SLC or not, but it saves me heartache and grief on the PLC5.

Lastly a tip. Make a backup of the current file and leave it at the PLC, so the next person does not have a problem finding it. I also give our "guy who stores backups and Software licenses in the media vault" guy directions to the place where backups are stored on our network. email critical file locations to everyone who ought to know where they are to your group.

Why won't a shark bite a lawyer swimming in the ocean? Professional courtesy!

Last edited:
Re: Rung comments disappeared... oh I hate when that happens.

Hester said:
I'm probably making a mistake, but I'm going to assume the SLC IDE (Interactive Development Environment)is similar to the PLC 5 environment.

Unfortunately, the SLC-150 doesn't give you nearly the options of the SLC-5/0X series processors. Fortunately (?), the SLC-150 isn't a very big processor, so the code shouldn't be too complicated.

The advice given is good - search the installation site for electrical schematics and/or the original program file (with documentation).

Good luck,

Marc

Hello,
What you have heard here for the most part is correct...
1. That type of information is not stored on the PLC. TRUE
2. You can use the old program to recover comments. TRUE
3. You can spend the time (if data is not available) to figure out or "reverse engineer" the logic. TRUE

4. Are you gonna' be busy? TRUE, TRUE, TRUE

bitmore

gmultani52,

ONLY because this is an Allen-Bradley SLC-150, one of the smallest AB PLCs, you should be able to figure out the Inputs and Outputs. I have, on small systems like this, started with the uploaded program, and nothing else except the machine and the wire numbers from the inputs and outputs. The procedure is:

1. Gather all information that you can find on the machine. Nothing available from the manufacturer? Look inside the control panel doors. You might even find some part of the schematic drawn on the inside of the door by a former electrician, or an old drawing stuffed into a wireway. You are putting together a puzzle, and no piece of information is too small to throw away!

2. Trace each Output wire back to its source on the machine. Make a list of each Output and what it does (Motor Starter #1, Solenoid #2, and so on).

3. Trace each input wire, and make a list of all Inputs.

4. Go into a copy of the program (not the original upload, keep that in case your new copy gets "bugs"), and label each Input and Output according to your new list.

5. Look at the logic and try to figure out what goes on between the Inputs and the Outputs. Label timers, counters, and internal relays with what you think they do.

6. Download your new documented program, go online, and watch the machine run. Check to see if your new labels are correct. If not, change them.

Last edited:
I wonder if this is a case of so-called "copyrighted PLC-software".

I have heard of situations where the third-party programmer told the client the PLC-software was cheaper if it was copyright protected. As a result the client didn't get any listings, nor the original files. All he got was the programmed PLC. The first time he needed service he experienced his cheaper solution was not any cheaper at all.

With my former employer we did almost all of our programming ourselves because we build most of our machines ourselves. In the few cases were we bought machinery it was always stated that a complete (and correct) set of schematics had to be included in the package otherwise there was no contract at all. I once witnessed a situation where a machinebuilder was told, after an entire week of installing the equipment, he could - at his own cost - disassemble the machine again and take it back with him, because the schematics were not as specified by us. Within 2 days everything was regulated and we could service the darn thing as if we had build it ourselves!

Kind regards and good luck,