PLC Cad Design

gatfu

Hi all! Forgive me if this has already been posted somewhere. I have a project that my up and starting company has been working on for about a year or so now. Up until now everything has been R&D and prototyping. We are now to a point where we have major investors as well as a completed product and manufacturing has already begun. Up until now I have been focusing only on my PLC/HMI programing and continual testing. It's all I have really had time to do. What I need to do next is take everything that's in my head as well as my massive pile of notes and schematic designs on bits of paper and put it all together in one cohesive design. I am looking for the best software (preferably low cost or free) that would aid in this daunting project. I need to be able to show the entire electrical design as well as where all components/plcs/cabinet layout,...etc. are physically located. I have been scouring the internet for software for my needs and have found a ton though most of it seems to be focused on PCB layout. I need more of a component to PLC layout. I need to be able to weed through this to find the best vs cost solution. Which brings me to this forum. Any Ideas or suggestions? All help is greatly appreciated!

I doubt that there are any good and free programs around. And if you have been working on it for a year, I'm guessing it is an extensive project..

In the past I have used AutoCAD electrical. Right now we use EPLAN, which I prefer over AutoCAD. Eplan is made specifically for the electrical world, and has loads of components readily available. It is not cheap, but it is worth the money. I believe.

(if you are still a student, or have access to an .edu address, check out AutoCAD. They offer free software for students)

Before you do make a decision, I would try out eplan, I have found it to be much simpler once you have set it up.
If you PM me your email, I could send you an example PDF.

i am currently tinkering around with draftsight now. WOW. so much for a free software package. now I just have to take the time to learn it.

have a look at designspark, yes it is free and is normally used for pcb, however as the database is growing fast and you can make your own too.
it has connectionlist(netlist) and is 3D and dwg etc. i am filling with standard relais
i also use eplan but is expensive ELWIN is cheaper.
if you like i will have a look at your idea also for free.