R160I-A125 fan motor overload trip

fritfram

I keep getting "fan motor overload" trip even though fan motor is good and all wiring /fuses/voltage read good. It has a VSD micro driver, could that be the problem??
I keep getting trip even when I go to factory settings....
Can anyone help me?? :oops:

Do you know if its starting or stopping ?? have seen big inertia fans cause VSD trips if the ramps are too short... Set the stop mode to spin, and wind the start ramp out...

Lemming, as soon as I return power to unit, within seconds it goes to trip. I cant find anything wrong other than micro driver gone bad. Bad thing is that even with the face on the micro drive and manual shutting of the contactor that provides power to it, I get a either W8 or U8 code right before it shuts off and goes to fan motor overload.

Where is the contactor ?? on the supply or feed to motor.. Some VSD's don't like a motor open circuit and will trip as a result... Not familiar with the "micro driver" VSD, so the codes dont mean anything to me

Having not seen your installation, still sounds like it could be the fan....

Try winding out your ramp time a long way... I have been involved in a similar case where the sparky had decided the VSD was faulty, replaced it twice and finally put a DOL starter on it (which then caused the supply fuses to blow...)

Was all to do with the heavy fan blade on the end of the motor needing a lot of time for the motor to get it to speed. Was fixed by setting the ramp to around 90 seconds to 50 Hz, and spin stop to prevent regeneration issues on stop.. Ironically most pump / fan VSD's are light weight with overload ratings only slightly higher than nameplate...

Of course you may have a faulty VSD, or the motor could be wired wrong etc....

Last edited:
I think you need to find a good VFD technician. There is much more to correctly configuring one than you apparently are familiar with. Certainly, resetting to factory default is not a good idea if you continue to run. The next problem you just might encounter is the factory smoke leaking out of your motor. As you probably know, once all the smoke leaks out, the shaft won't turn anymore, not even on a "micro drive".

Please get some help for this.