Micrologix 1761 AWA

Hello. I need help fast. My PLC has 12 relay outputs. What does this mean? Are the relays builtin or do I need to hook up relays to the outputs?
What is the output (AC or DC)? Can you help me out Please?

John

There are 12 onboard relays that you can wire up to whatever electrical supply you choose.

The terminal designations under the terminal covers should give you some clues about how the outputs are grouped.

The relay outputs on a MicroLogix aren't colossal; they are rated for just 2.5 A continuous at 120 VAC. Don't try to run a motor with them directly !

You should get your hands on the User Manual for this controller. It's available online at:

1761-UM003A

A relay output is a contact closure. The relay coils are on the PLC. You can use the contacts to switch at any voltage level up the rated value. Typically, in 'brick' PLCs, some of the contacts may have one side tied to a common terminal. Don't assume that all twelve are isolated from each other.

Hi JohnnySpark24

Bottom terminal strip of your MicroLogix

L1---L2---GRD---VAC OR VDC---O/0 VAC OR VDC---O/1 VAC--O/2--O/3

Think of your output as a relay inside the plc. The VAC/VDC connection
means it doesn`t care whether you are switching an AC or DC voltage through this set of contacts. VAC---| |---O/0 you access the coil of this relay with your program. Each terminal marked VAC/VDC, on your plc there are 4 means you could have this many different sources of control power. Input side there are two AC commons or neutrals so your 120 vac goes out to your device and comes back to an input.

Go to File choose New at this time you will choose a processor scroll down to MicroLogix 1000 and select it. You can name it or defalut is untitled. click OK here is a simple program. The first thing you do is insert a rung, then add the rest.
Forgive my lines between I:0/0 and O:0/0 this is the only way I can get them to stay in place, they don`t mean anything.
|
| Program
|---I:0/0 -----O:0/0
|----| |-------( )---
|--------------end

Save your program. Now open rslinks click Communications then configure drivers there will be a drop down list at the arrow choose
rs 232- DF1 devices as your driver. Have your pc hooked up to your plc and choose Auto config. This should let you talk to your plc.
Now in rslogix 500 there will be an arrow close to the top left side of your screen it will say Offline click this arrow and choose down load, then yes and yes. If all this worked now hook a neutral to AC COM on the input side of your plc and 120 volts to I:0/0 you will be online with your plc and can see it work.You don`t need anything hooked up to your out put contact for it to work. Rslogix 500 has excellent HELLLLLP files be sure and read them. You can learn a lot by reading the post on this site.

Good luck
Tom