New job

arkyny

Hey PLC gurus. About to start a new job. Have been working with Automation Direct PLC's past 5 years but will be changing to AB Micrologix5000. Is there a major format change? I am old school with AB like SLC500. Anything I need to know like log on or addressing? Does the mlogix still use like i:1.00? I will study but would like a quick ref. Thanks
🍻🍻

If you are referring to the Micrologix instead of ControlLogix or CompactLogix then it is very similar to the SLC500. Except for a bit of I/O layout and the use of 'Function Files' the structure is almost exactly the same. You will have no problem.

The Control/Compact Logix on the other hand will have a bit of learning curve but it is not bad. The vastly increased capabilities is the main area of change. The tag based adressing has been mentioned. The ability to create User Defined Types (UDTs) makes some operations extremely easy.

Check back with aazny questions.

First, figure out which family of controllers you'll be working with.

MicroLogix family controllers are derived from the SLC-500 family and largely use the familiar I:ss/bb and Nx:yy sort of data table addressing you are familiar with. 90% of the MicroLogix instruction set is the same as SLC-500.

ControlLogix and CompactLogix controllers use a new (well, new in 1997) controller operating system and data representation. Instead of data tables, you use Tag Names to organize data. It takes some getting used to, but because much of the editor and instruction set is familiar to SLC-500 and PLC-5 users, the learning curve is not steep.

I know that ladder logic is mostly the same, but with new PLC, AB, my fault with not keeping up, didnt think my company would go away as I was very comfortable with AD. Control logix, I think, is what i will deal with. Damn me, fool me once my fault

It's not as horrible as it sounds. With tags you have the opportunity to name your IO as you like. UDTs (User Defined Types) is a way of encapsulating your IO in a structure. There is also aliasing, which once you figure out how to use it is very powerful too.

The main issue is that you will have to spend more time "up front" deciding how you want things to be setup in your program. If you have a lot of systems to do, then with intelligent design, your systems can be easier to troubleshoot. But you can pretty much say that about any PLC.

Why do they want to switch? Lord knows they won't be saving anything on hardware and software.

Thank you Bernie, and all of you, AB I know is a very good PLC, but they have us by the bulls, Automation Direct is so straight forward, and I never had a problem with them