red lion (emerson) and external data

irondesk40

i thought i would start a new post to help advoid some confusion on some previous questions i have asked while working on this.
i attached two files. they both have .txt as the extension. the file testing is actuall a .rss file for allen bradley.
the other file is a emerson (red Lion) file and its extension should be .ctv
i have created a simple menu to automatically put values in for mold time, retention,counts.
the values it places in the N registers for this is stored on the plc.
Is there, or what is the proper way to use the Red Lion (emerson) hmi and somehow link it to a external excel file that would contain the values to be placed into the N registers in the plc?
Not something i have any experience with and any advice, direction would be greatly appreciated. also the hmi is capable of having some programming done in it and from my conversations with red lion tech support, which to me is without a doubt the best tech support i have ever dealt with by far, i did a little program to change pages. I am not familiar with C+ or basic programming but would it be possible to write such a program in the hmi and it be linked to a external excel file and then be linked to the tags in the plc through the hmi?
i know its a loaded question.
Thanks

There isn't an easy way to link to an excel file. The only option would be through OPC which requires you to purchase our OPCWorx software and then also have an OPC plugin for Excel.

Thanks
Jeremy

There isn't an easy way to link to an excel file. The only option would be through OPC which requires you to purchase our OPCWorx software and then also have an OPC plugin for Excel.

Thanks
Jeremy

thanks, what kind of price is OPCWorx? Just seems like it has a webserver there should be a way in the hmi to write some kind of program have it connect to a database on a pc through the ethernet. I guess its because i really do not know how is why i think it should be able to be done that way. is there any documentation etc. that would help understand this better?

plugin for excel. is that something availiable through red lion? My hmi is a control technique label, but actually a red lion. even says red lion on the back.

thanks, what kind of price is OPCWorx? Just seems like it has a webserver there should be a way in the hmi to write some kind of program have it connect to a database on a pc through the ethernet. I guess its because i really do not know how is why i think it should be able to be done that way. is there any documentation etc. that would help understand this better?

I am sorry but I can't give pricing. You can contact your local distributor for pricing

plugin for excel. is that something availiable through red lion? My hmi is a control technique label, but actually a red lion. even says red lion on the back.

I am sorry but we don't offer the plug in. You would need go to get a third party plug in.

Thanks
Jeremy

I create, open and manipulate files in .csv and .txt format all the time on the Compact Flash card stored in the device. You can store these .csv files on the CF card via direct connect or read of CF card, or via FTP. Your program could open the file, search for the "recipe" in the file, then extract data and move it to the PLC register. Once you learn a little code, it makes this redlion so powerful. I could send you apps where I retrieve files, as well as create and write them.

Thanks
Jeremy

is that something where you have to buy a control technique version in order to work on the HMI.
It is a control technique ctvue-306

is that something where you have to buy a control technique version in order to work on the HMI.
It is a control technique ctvue-306

There not an OEM specific version of OPCWorx. I am sorry but I missed that you were using a CT panel. OPC will not be an option for you.

Thanks
Jeremy