Small panel disconect (NFPA79 / NFPA70E)

JOLTRON

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am designing a small panel. Inside of this panel there will be a 120VAC to 24VDC power supply and an Ethernet switch. This will distribute network connections to a group of cells.

My thoughts:
This is not an industrial machine so NFPA79 would not be required (therefor the disconnect would not be required to be interlocked with the door.

According to NFPA70 2014, the index shows section 409.30 for 'industrial control panels' but when I go to this section it covers 'Disconnecting means that supply motor loads'.

So can I use a side mount rotary disconnect that is not interlocked with the panel to save some mounting plate real estate? The panel would require a tool to open

Or am I missing a section of the standards?

Last edited: